1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jennym, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    I was at agway the other day asking if I could give my six hens the sunflower seeds that they sell for wild birds and they said no. I am a first time owner and my girls are 14 weeks now. Love my girls so much and have become so attached to all of them. Can someone knowledgeable answer this for me. Shells on or off do you think?

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes you can give them sunflower seed, just make sure they are black oil sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are good for the feathers, in moderation. You can feed them hulled, or not. Just don't go overboard with them.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine love them as a treat.

4. Jennym

Jennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    What is your opinion on raw hulled pumpkin seeds? Where can I buy them? [​IMG]

5. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Call them and ask them why. I believe I've heard the same, but I never heard the reasoning. Now I am very curious because I do feed them to my ducks.

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have only seen the pumpkin seeds in the grocery store and maybe you should check the treats chart byc has posted to make sure they are safe. The Black oil sunflower seeds are the best, although they are anything but cheap..$26.00 for 50 pounds last week here in NC.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I don't trust anything that a sales person in a feed store has to say. Most of the time they have less experiance and know less than you do!!

8. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
  9. DrakeMaiden

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    Good point, Katy. That is often the case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by