Sunflower seeds ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajunlizz, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    this might sound stupid , but I never gave mine sunflower seeds , so , here's the question . Do they pick out and open the sunflower seeds themselves , or do you have to do it for them ? NOW don't laugh , just answer please .. [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    They eat the whole thing. Songbirds have to break open the shell and only eat the meat, but chickens eat the whole thing.

3. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing.[​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Black oiled sunflower seeds, they eat the wholeeeeeeeeeee thing [​IMG] and they are good for them....

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yep, they gobble them right down, shell & all. Try to get black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS, we call them). They're really good for digestion and I believe help in egg laying as well! I grab a handful of them at dusk and hand feed them as a treat for my girls when they go into their coop. [​IMG]

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Heard apple sauce is something else they love

7. BawkinOnTheBench

BawkinOnTheBench Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    UT
    Well, don't I feel dumb. Been giving mine the expensive sunflower hearts! I guess animals that can handle OYSTER SHELLS will not be hurt by a sunflower hull!

8. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've been snipping the dead sunflower heads, drying them out for a few days and then just throwing the whole thing in the run....they love it!! [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I bought a 10# bag of the black oiled sunflower seeds the other day at Target and took a handful of them out to feed to the girls. Once I gave them to them they looked at me like I was nuts! [​IMG] It was almost if they were saying, "Hey lady! What do you think we want with those dead bugs?" Once I coaxed Rhodey, my roo, over to me and showed him what we had he called the girls and they gobbled them all up! Why does it take the rooster to get those darn hens to eat their treats?!?! I'm actually getting ready to go feed them some right now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by