Sunflowers for protien

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rhino7, Nov 9, 2011.

1. rhino7

rhino7 New Egg

Mar 3, 2011
    I was told that during molting season, you can give sunflowers seeds to add protien. The label says 9% protien, same as scratch, yet not as much as 16% feed. Sunflowers or not?

2. Rosaleen

Rosaleen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Danville, Vermont
    I add a handful of sunflower seeds to their pellets each morning.

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I'd focus more on feeding them meats and boiled eggs if you're going for protien. Sunflowers are a lot like junkfood to birds. THey're very fattening and oily, that's why chickens go bonkers over it.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

BOSS,or black oil sunflower seed, is around 15% protein, and yes, high in oils - great for molting birds. As a treat, not as main feed.

5. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I use BOSS as well as boil up some eggs and crush them (shells and all) to toss back to the flock.

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    With my birds, a constant amount of layer is pellets is supplied per adult bird. With stress of molt, BOSS is added to that basal feed amount such that it can make up as much as 10% of total diet. Protein intake increased somewhat but greatest benefit I think if from the fatty acids. If temperatures drop while molt ongoing then birds allowed greater access to scratch grains which I consider as purely an energy food despite some protein being present. Energy demands can be pretty high during molt when temperatures are low, winds high, and / or lots of rain. If not enough energy in diet, then protein will be consumed to meet need for energy before being set aside for use in body building protein.

7. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    My flock loves black oil sun flower seeds. They get it regularly as as a treat.

8. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    If higher protein is what you are looking for during molting I used game bird pellets. I switched my food to game bird pellets during molting because game bird food contains higher protein levels than regular chicken food. I find my chickens really love it and they seemed to quit molting or finish molting faster when fed it. The added protein is also good if you have growing birds. I also feed boiled or scrambled eggs in limited amounts.

I only add seeds as a treat with their scratch.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by