sunflowers

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Harmsody, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Harmsody

Harmsody Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    Are sunflower seeds OK to feed to your chickens?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I sure hop so---because mine have eaten them for many years. I growed and cut the big dry heads----hang them upside down with a string in the chicken yard and let the chickens pick the heads clean----then tie another one for them.

3. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    I think they are FINE to give them! xx[​IMG]

4. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Sunflower seeds with the shell still on is fine to feed, as well as with the shell off. A good treat, helps hens lay eggs and grow healthy feathers. Served cold, it can keep chickens cool and hydrated during hot summers. Seeds and flesh are both okay to feed.
    I got that on gooooogle! lol

5. Harmsody

Harmsody Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2017
    Australia
    The guy at our local stock feed place reckons it makes they're feathers fall out, I've been feeding them to my bantam for a while though

6. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You hear ALL kinds of things--My father was a smart man about hear-say---He always told me to believe Nothing I hear and only 1/2 what I see and I would be better off---LOL. If I had time I would Just have to see if he was Correct---about 6 chickens separated in their own pen---feed with some sunflower seeds added to their diet----wait a year and see if they have less feathers than the ones just like them that have not had any SF seeds---LOL.

7. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    My girls get a mixed seed with black oil sunflower in the shell and they attack it like it was a beetle. Hilarious to watch. GC

8. Purina

Purina Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2014
    Great questions Harmsody!
    Sunflower seeds have a lot of fat, which is an excellent energy source, as well as a good amount of protein. It certainly won't hurt to include them in the birds' diet, but you want to avoid feeding too much of any one additional feed as the birds may then eat less of the feed that is fortified with the necessary vitamins and minerals. Try to treat the sunflower seeds as a treat and feed them at no more than 10% of the daily ration. That will add some extra energy without disrupting the nutrient profile of the remainder of their ration.

9. 1ADAM12

1ADAM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Do not feed wild birds near your chickens. Wild birds carry disease. I learned this the hard way and had to cull my entire flock. 18 total!!!! The caught a viral bronchitis that was untreatable and spread like the plague!!!

PD-Riverman likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by