1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sunny Days = More eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elphaba2140, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I just wanted to know if anyone else is seeing this pattern or if you have had chickens laying longer than a couple of months if this is true. My oldest girls started laying in August and since it was summer I didn't notice much difference from day to day. Now that we are getting some cold and cloudy days on a regular basis I am seeing a pattern. On sunny days I get 6-9 eggs. On cloudy days I get maybe 2-3. What can you tell me about this?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hmmm, I wonder if this is how it works. For sure they lay less as the days get shorter, so it kinda makes sense.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Could be. But may have to do with the breed, Reason being the weather here has been cloudy ,wet off & on for a few days & I'm still getting the same amount of eggs .

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I haven't noticed if it was cloudy when my girls take their day off I'll try to pay attention, its fairly easy for me since I only have 2 out of 4 laying at the moment, but I usually get eggs 2 days then day off so It probably has nothing to do with the weather, but who knows it might.

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Light stimulates laying, so it would seem normal that a clear sunny day would produce more eggs. The cloudy days are reducing the light hours as well I would imagine vs the sunnier ones. 15-16 hours of light per day is ideal for egg production. Wait till mid winter, and I bet your production really slows, unless you use artificial lighting..

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I had just made the same observation in my girls. We've had some lousy weather of late and after several days of no sun I realized I was getting fewer and fewer eggs. The day after the first sunny day in a week I got 14 eggs compared to the 6 I got the day before that. Nothing else changed except the weather.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    One day of heavy overcast doesn't affect my birds too much. Three days or more and I begin to notice. Especially if the temperature plunges along with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by