Sunny goes for a walk with her new harness - 2 week old Pekin PICS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitkatbahr, May 16, 2010.

1. kitkatbahr

kitkatbahr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    I bought Sunny a harness yesterday at the pet store. It is made for birds. The size I got her was Medium. She is two weeks and two days old. I tried it on her today, for the first time and she did GREAT! I want her to get used to it so when I buy her diapers and a harness, she won't have any problem wearing them. So, I took her for a walk outside with her leash/harness for the first time. Here are some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry the first pic is so big. I am trying to learn how to use the upload to do pics.

Isn't she just too cute? LOL

Kathy

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    AWW! Ive diaper trained my ducks before but have yet to get one to walk on a leash for me! Very cute! Did you know that Duckboy on here has a pekin named Sunny?

3. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Quote:How old were your ducks when you diaper trained them? I have only found diapers for grown ducks and didn't want to wait until then to get her used to the harness idea, so I thought I could start her like this and then it would be an easy transition to the diaper harness later. I was looking at Nettie's website and I like the harness and leash that she sells.

As for getting her to walk for me, it was really easy. She is an incubator baby (the only one that hatched out of 24 eggs!! They had problems with the bator at school). So, she is very imprinted on me and follows me everywhere. Once I put the leash on her, she still follows me everywhere. I was taking her out everyday this week and running all over the yard to get her to follow me all the time, which she does. Now it is natural to do that with the leash too.

I named her Sunshine cause she was so bright yellow and has very bright eyes. Of course, it was easy to shorten it to Sunny. I think that is a great name for a duck! LOL I will see if I can find pics of Duckboy's Sunny.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I started when theywere 3 days old - i get all my harnesses from Nettie [​IMG]

Mine got used to the routine of bath in the morning, then dry off with the hair dryer, then into the harnesses, then push the dog out of the way and eat her food.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im used to the ducklings imprinting on me and following me everywhere - if they dont imprint on my pup first! lol, i think My next summer hatch ill try to leash train a duckling. When i tried it on the two pictured they ran away and went absolutlely bonkers!

5. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Aww, that is so cute. I didn't think I could get diaper harnesses for the ducklings. Maybe I need to go look at Nettie's site again. I only saw them for the grown one's.

Are they adjustable for when they grow? They grow incredibly fast. I don't want to have to buy a new diaper harness every month or so! LOL

Cute pics. Thanks for sharing.
    '
    Now that they are grown, do you still diaper them? How are they doing with it? Do you diaper them very often? Do they "forget" and have to be taught to get used to it each time?

I have been taking Sunny to different schools and pre-schools in the area to share her with the kids. I have had several requests to bring her in. A diaper would be great if I can find one for her now. Although, school will be out next week. By the time it starts again, she will be grown. That is why I figured I would wait until August or thereabouts to buy the diaper harness cause then she should be as big as she is going to get. But, if I could find a baby diaper/harness system that was adjustable at least for a couple of months until she gets a grown up one, that would be fantastic!

6. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have three different sizes - I have the size that you see in the pictures, one size bigger for when they out grew it ,and their adult harnesses. Because of the smell and me only being home and awake three hours a day when they turned three months old they became outside ducks and Charlotte , my female, is currently broody on some eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the second picture i had to use safety pins since the harnesses were a little too big.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive taken my ducks to school for the elementary plenty of times. Usually they are in the elementary till third period, then they come sit in my Algebra 2 class with me ( my teachers are cool like that, lol ) and graphic design before they go back down stairs since the kids are back from lunch.

8. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:Email Nettie (orders @ indoorducks . com) for more info on the duckling harnesses (we make them but don't have them on the website yet - it'll be up later this week). They are quite different from the ones that Goat_walker has in her pics (Nettie came up with a better design).

9. kitkatbahr

Apr 25, 2009
    Merritt Island, FL
    Quote:Email Nettie (orders @ indoorducks . com) for more info on the duckling harnesses (we make them but don't have them on the website yet - it'll be up later this week). They are quite different from the ones that Goat_walker has in her pics (Nettie came up with a better design).

Ok, thanks for the info! I appreciate it. I will go email her now.

Kathy

10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    All those pics are sooooo cute! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by