Sunny is VERY Thin...Not worms or internal laying, either

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckledhen, May 17, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Any of you folks who know more than I care to suggest why my 4 year old Buff Orp, Sunny, is bone thin?

I picked her up and noticed that you could cut meat with her keel bone. All the others in her group are fat and sassy.

Sunny is almost four-and-a-half and still lays at least three eggs per week, all great shell quality.

She is fed regular laying pellets with animal protein and gets extra protein once a week, at least, in the form of fish, plus yogurt and vitamins.

She and her entire group were wormed a few weeks ago, due to all the mud and rain and me seeing roundworms on top of the soil. Figured it had to be worms if she wasn't having reproductive issues. Her abdomen isn't bloated or odd-feeling.

She is just alarmingly thin--the only time I've seen them this thin here is when they are close to dying of internal laying. Her color is good and she seems energetic enough. What other internal issues would cause this?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Can you spend some time, watching them all eat at feeding time? Maybe she isn't getting her share...sometimes observation is your best friend. [​IMG]

Or, if possible, could you separate her and pamper her a bit, with some extra protein like hard boiled egg in her diet, plus some vitamins/electrolites in her drinking water?

Those are just a few suggestions of things I might try. I get the feeling you don't think she's sick, just thin.....

3. speckledhen

I spend lots of time with them. Sunny gets her share, no problem. She is senior hen in her group, which consists of 9 hens and my Delaware rooster, Isaac. So, there are just ten in the coop. This morning, I took them out a plate of grits with eggs, mackerel, flax seed, wheat germ oil and vitamins added. They get something like that regularly and she always eats her fill.

She doesn't show any outward signs of being ill, but there could be something going on in there that isn't apparent. That's what I'm wondering, since this is just very weird for her.

Hey, William, any ideas, buddy?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    What was the wormer that you gave her and did you see her take it in?

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, she sounds like a pampered hen! I sure hope you find out what's going on with her.....

6. speckledhen

They got Safeguard right in their mouths so I know she got it. If it was worms, though, I'd think the others would also show signs of it, but they seem great.

7. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    Maybe you should try worming her again. Maybe she had a bigger load of worms than the other birds. And with her age it took a bigger toll on her body..

I dont know. Just an idea.

Hope she gets better soon.

8. speckledhen

Thing is, we have never had a real worm issue here. They've had the preventative natural wormers regularly and though I'm not sure if the credit can be placed on that, this flock just hasn't had the issues that I see some folks deal with all the time. I can dose her again, sure, but I'm looking for possible answers other than worms, just in case there is something else going on with her. If she is ill, then worming her could make things worse since it tends to be hard on them, generally.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'm at a loss speckledhen. I wish I could help you. Sorry.

10. speckledhen

Thanks anyway. I just wish I had a direction to go. Weight loss is such a general symptom. There are no respiratory issues here, either, just nothing except the weight loss itself as a symptom. Maybe I'll go and remove her and check her over very closely, just to see if I can get a clue to this.

ETA: We looked her over very well. She has no pests, no wounds, nothing I can see that would explain her weight loss. Oh, well. I'll just keep feeding that group extra protein, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by