Sunny (muscovy) can't walk but is alert and eating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nat-S, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    Sunny appeared to be fine yesterday but cannot walk today. She doesn't have any outward signs of an injury, is alert and is still eating and drinking. I have been doing some research on-line but still don't know for sure what is going on. I can't afford the vet bills for x-rays, meds etc., but I NEED to do something ....................anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Don't know what it is if she doesn't appear injured. Keep her quiet, in a warm enclosed safe area. Keep food and water close to her. Periodically move her so she isn't laying in her poop. Monitor her food and water intake. If you have other birds, keep them away from her.

I had a muscovy hen do this once she stopped walking and was pulling herself along with her wings. I think that the drake may have hurt her while mating. She would swim a little and liked to float in the pool (it was May in FL) It took 7-10 days for her to walk again. I almost put her down because she stopped eating at one point.

good luck to her.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is she? and is she laying yet? and if you have a drake and they have been mating then like jw said he could have accidentally hurt her. Can you bring her in for some tub time, soaking in some nice warm water can't hurt then you can evaluate he condition better seeing if she can move her legs to swim.
    And [​IMG]

4. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    I don't have any males, but I do have 6 other females. I put Sunny under our trampoline with fresh water and food. The trampoline is surrounded with chicken wire so she is safe and she can still see her sisters and not feel so isolated. She was hand raised in our house and is very close to me so I keep visiting her so she doesn't feel abandoned.

5. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    Sonny is 8 months old now. I'm not sure if she is laying yet. I have 7 females (no males) and currently get 2 or 3 eggs a day. We have not done any tub time yet so I'll try that now.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keeping her separated is a good idea rest can help. Chicken wire won't keep her safe at night from roaming preds though so i hope she won't be kept there over night. another thing you may want to take into consideration if she is laying she could have an egg that is pressing on a nerve, so soaking in a warm tub can also help her pass the egg if that is the problem. I hope she can over come this and be back to normal quickly. Please keep us updated. If she can move her legs in the warm water then I would continue with warm water therapy it can help with recovery and also it may take more than one soak if it's an egg bound up in there.

7. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    When I went to get Sunny for her tub time I discovered 2 eggs. Both of them were spongy and one was busted. I'm not positive they were hers because my boys had let 2 of her sisters in with her. We did the tub time and she is doing better. She is standing for short periods and walking a little. I'm hoping we are just dealing with an egg blockage issue! And you're right about the chicken wire not keeping her safe at night. She will NOT be sleeping there tonight. She will be back with her sisters in the duck house or back in the house with me. She was raised in the house and didn't sleep outside in the duck house until she was 4 months old. I think my son was the only kid at school to say his ducks lived in the house.

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    It could have been an egg issue. Are they getting either layer feed or a calcium supplement? I'd keep her quiet and seperated until she's 100%. Sometimes ducks can really pick on those that can't defend themselves. Glad to hear that she may be doing better.

9. Nat-S

Nat-S Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2012
    Magnolia, TX
    I have my ducks on Flock Raiser. However, with the cooler weather I had added chopped corn since the bug population is low. They free range the back yard from sunrise to sunset so they also eat grass, weeds, bugs etc. I'm not raising my ducks for eggs (or meat) so I wasn't too concerned about a layer feed. When talking to the feed dealer I use, it was recommended I stick with the Flock Raiser for overall good health.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would consider sprinkling dry cat kibble instead of using corn if you are trying to make up for no bugs, since corn is pretty much starch, not at all what she would get from eating bugs. Kibble has more protein and Vitamin D and a wider variety of nutrients. There are also mealworms (which you can raise yourself to save money).

Could she be egg bound? A float in a lukewarm tub of water for an hour might help. In any case, it could improve leg circulation and get the weight off for a while.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by