Sunny (muscovy) can't walk but is alert and eating

No, I haven't done any cooking or baking with duck eggs. I've just been giving my neighbor the eggs. Besides, I don't know if my husband will eat what I cook if he knows there are duck eggs instead of chicken eggs. I might try it when he's not around to see!
Isn't that funny, my dh won't eat a duck egg but if i bake with them he has no problem. lol

My female Muscovy has not been able to walk forthe last 5 days. After reading the threads posted here it seems its a diet issue. Im using purina pellets. They have calcium. Wondering how to know if there are better days coming for this duck. Or is the party over?

Do you mean layer pellets? i use Purina feeds with all my birds here, they make good foods. Is she perhaps egg bound? a little background, does she forage, who else is she with, is their access to oyster shell, possible she got into anything toxic?(chemicals, plants etc)

Other than being unable to walk, is she alert, eating?

Yes, layer pellets. She is alert and eating n drinking. She has layed a few eggs, about 8 days ago. Then started limping, then not walking at all. I live on a lake. Not sure if she ate chemicals. There are none here that she could have gotten into. And not sure about toxic plants. What plants are toxic to ducks? Never had a problem like this with any of my other ducks. This is my 1st full year as of 4.4.12

So she seems otherwise normal, that is a good sign, clearly she's not egg bound. So does it appear to be a certain leg? is it swollen, any wounds? could she have been bit by a turtle?

My female Muscovy has not been able to walk forthe last 5 days. After reading the threads posted here it seems its a diet issue. Im using purina pellets. They have calcium. Wondering how to know if there are better days coming for this duck. Or is the party over?
I cannot hang out here right now, but if you can offer this information it would be helpful:

her age
what kind of pellets
water available to her for swimming?

Without knowing any of the above, I would say give her niacin (100 mg per gallon of water) for the next two months, a poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic mix once a week, and give her lukewarm baths twice a day. I would check her feet for bumblefoot, and in any case give her Epsom salts compresses on both legs twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom