Sunny or Shady?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Timbo57, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Timbo57

Timbo57 New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    Hi All,
    I just recently decided to get chickens and absolutely love this site. So much so that I think I will have to limit my time here. In any case down to my first Nubie question.

I live in the Charlotte, NC area and I need to start building my Coop as I just received my chicks 4 days ago. Yikes!. I have 2 options for the Coop & Run. One is Sunny from about 9 AM until the Sun goes down. The other would get some morning sun and then be shaded by the house and a shed the rest of the day. I guess what I am trying to figure out is should I be more concerned about them being to hot in the summer or to cold in the winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim the Nuwb

2. CliffB

CliffB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Georgia
    They can handle the cold better than they can handle the heat. Mine is sunny all the way up till early afternoon then it gets shaded for the remainder of the day. Just helps get them in the coop quicker when the sun goes down.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome!
    I would opt for plan B - sunny in the morning and shady for the rest of the day.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I also vote shady. Your heat will be way more of an issue that your cold.

5. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Definitely go for the afternoon shade... heat is way worse than cold....for me and the chickens lol!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

I agree with the others, morning sun and afternoon shade is the best in the south. Congrats on your new chicks. Get loads of photos and enjoy raising them.

8. Timbo57

Timbo57 New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the responses!!! That's what I was leaning toward and I appreciate the advice. Now to build a COOP!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by