"sunny" The Chick Who Defied All The Incubation Rules! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crash0330, Jul 25, 2010.

1. crash0330

crash0330 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    FISRT OF ALL THIS IS SUNNY!!!!!
    [​IMG]

THE STORY OF WHY SUNNY DEFIES ALL INCUBATION RULES IS SHORT BUT AMAZING,
    OK FIRST OF ALL I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WHERE 120 F DURING THE SUMMER IS NOT STRANGE AT ALL, WELL THIS SUMMER HAS BEEN NOT SO HOT AVAREGA TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF JULY IS 107F DURING THE DAY AND 88F AT NIGHT, ABOUT A MONTH AND HALF AGO ONE OF MY BOBWHITE QUAILS SEEMED LIKE SHE WAS BROODY, SHE STAYED ON THE NEST FOR ABOUT 4 DAYS AND THEN SHE QUIT AND NEVER SAT ON THEM AGAIN, SO I JUST GOT THE EGGS SHE WAS SITTING ON AND TOSSED THEM, SHE STARTED LAYING AGAIN, AND IN THE HOPE THAT SHE'D GO BROODY AGAIN I DIDNT COLLECTED THE EGGS, BUT SHE NEVER SAT ON THEM AGAIN, WEEK AND HALF AGO SHE STARTED SITTING ON THEM AGAIN AND SHE SAT ON THEM FOR 2 DAYS AND THEM SHE SCAPED NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN, BUT BEFORE SHE DID SHE HAD MADE HER NEST AND EVEN KICKED SOME EGGS OUT OF THE NEST, I PRESSUME SHE KNEW THEY WERE BAD, BUT I JUST LEFT THEM THGERE AND NEVER BOTHERED TO PICKED THEM UP AGAIN, SO TODAY I WENT OUTSIDE WITH MY CHICKENS AND I JUST THOUGHT TO GO AND CHECK JUST IN CASE MY QUAIL WAS BACK, BUT NO, BUT THEN IN THE VERY CORNER OF THE CAGE I SAW THIS LITTLE EGG AND IT SEEMED TO BE BROKEN I TOOK A CLOSER LOOK AND THIS IS WHAT I FOUND:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aND THIS IS THE NEST MY QUAIL HAD MADE BEFORE SHE FLEW AWAY
    [​IMG]

SO WHILE SUNNY WAS IN THE SUN HE HADNT BEEN TURNED IN MORE THAN A WEEK, TEMPERATURES WERE UP AND DOWN AND HUMIDITY WHEN HE HATCHED WAS LESS THAN 40% PROBABLY LESS THAN 30% AND STILL HE MADE IT AND HES SOO STRONG AND HEALTHY RIGH NOW, SO THIS IS PROOF THAT IF AN EGG IS LEFT OUTSIDE IN THIS HEAT THERES A CHANCE THAT IT WILL HATCH, IM NOT ENCORAUGING ANYBODY TO TRY THIS AS I THINK THAT SUNNY WAS A LUCKY CHICK I THINK THERES SOME OTHER EGGS IN THERE THAT ARE PROBABLY DEAD IN THERE. BUT SUNNY TO ME IS REALLY A LITTLE FIGHTER AND THIS LITTLE CHICK WILL STAY WITH ME FOR A LONG TIME THIS ONE IS A KEEPER!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2010
  2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Songster

Dec 21, 2009
    WOW! That's so cool & amazing! Never thought that would happen, huh?

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Miracles never cease.

4. What a tiny little thing! He sure made it thru some tough conditions, and he's just starting out. [​IMG] Way to go!

5. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    very cute!

6. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Congrats on your miracle chick! [​IMG]

7. dnenella

dnenella In the Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Awesome Yeah for Sunny:hugs [​IMG]

8. crash0330

crash0330 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks to all of you, I checked on Sunny today before I left for work and he's a little speed demon, soo cute and tiny. Luckily for me I had just hatched a batch of quails just this past Monday so he fits right in with them and there getting a long quite well!!!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Sunny is just precious! What a little fighter she is!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

10. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    How crazy! I guess Sunny really, really wanted to live! So adorable. [​IMG] What a great story (and really interesting), thank you for sharing it with us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by