Sunroof in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Welshies, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What is everyone's thoughts on a coop having a sunroof? Not a full sunroof, just a section of the roof. Any experiences?
    Should I make it openable/closable?
    I live in Alberta. Cold winter climate but pretty warm summers.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    A great way to add light and, if it is fashioned to be openable, ventilation -- care should be taken to construct it in a way that will maintain the integrity of the roof with regards to protection from the elements in bad weather.

3. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    If other ventilation is added (i.e., 4" slots underneath the roof edges on both sides, the whole length of the coop) does it need to be openable? My main concern is that it will get too hot in summer from the sun shining through...

4. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

nice idea but benefit in winter if snow covered? Now I have seen people put in small skylights...thinking of the round ones that let light in and on the roof the snow might just fall off of the raised plastic dome element...just a thought...and possibly an easy install...

5. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, the snow would melt off if I spraypainted the roof black and further weatherproofed it. As well as regularly brushing snow off the skylight.

6. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

lol your alberta is warmer and my montana is lazier...sounds good tho!

7. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well winter gets to -20°c on average so not too bad, but not super warm either. Mind you, lately the summers have been warmer than ever

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by