1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sunshed.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bucky52, Mar 6, 2012.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    thinking about using it for a brooder.it warms up in the day and does get cold at night.we have a wood stove that we get going for seed starting.and have a ecoglow on order.my concern is that it may get to warm during the day.it does have winows that i can open.when it is in the 40"outside.the tempertures are around 70"s .i'am concern it may get to warm in the daytime.someone any ideas.

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Does it have a door you can open or windows? I think it sounds wonderful. Wish I had one. I would suggest putting a thermometer out there for a week or so just to see how warm it gets during the day and how warm is stays at night. Maybe keep a fan or put a sand box in some shade to provide a nice cool spot for the chicks to hang out.

I'm totally jealous, have any pics?

4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I would suspect that it will get too warm. I have a 3 X 3 brooder set up in a larger coop that is mostly open to the south. During the day when the sun shines in the coop, portions of the brooder get sunshine and it is obvious that the one week old chicks are absolutely avoiding the sunshine. As the sunlit area (and the shade) move during the day, so do the chicks. I put a cheapo thermometer just next to the sunlit area and it was registering just over 110

It might work if you do something similar to what I did and set something up between the sunlight and the chicks to create shady areas..

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by