Sunshine, the broody Leghorn

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chics in the sun, Sep 18, 2010.

1. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    This will be a sort of blog about my White Leghorn, Sunshine. She is only 29 weeks old, and this is her second time being broody. Instead of breaking her out of it like I did last month, I decided to let her go ahead and set some eggs. She is now sitting on two Ameraucana and six Blue Plymouth Rock eggs. I think she will make it the 21 days, but I am concerned about how she will do as a mama hen. As long as she doesn't freak out in her Leghorn-style when they hatch and accidentally squash one or something, I'll be happy. I can take over after they hatch if I need to. Here she is, looking at her new clutch today after we put them under her. She hasn't moved off them since.

[​IMG]

2. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    awww she is cute sitting on her little clutch [​IMG]
    Wishing you and her a wonderful hatch!

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I had a broody leghorn about the same age. She actually hatched chicks, but she did smash two while they were hatching and sadly lost the other two due to fire ants. She was a good mom while they were alive. Still can't believe she went broody, all my life I was always Leghorns will never go broody. Well yours and mine proved them wrong. [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We had a broody leghorn when I was a kid. On her second attempt, she did a great job and didn't abandon them until they were about 6 weeks old.

5. Loving My Peeps

Loving My Peeps Chicken Whisperer

Aug 19, 2010
    Central, Maine
    I have a broody leghorn right now too......I placed some fertilized eggs under her. They were started in the incubator then just yesterday DAY 17 I placed her in the dog crate with those and a few other unfertilized eggs. I hope she can finish the job for me and then be a great Mama. Right now she is in trance mode and not leaving the eggs. Funny that she too knows today is lockdown...

[​IMG]

6. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Ooo! You have to keep us posted on how she does, scshev! I'll keep an eye out for fire ants, txcarl, and I will be watching like a hawk to try to keep her from smashing any. It's hard to be a first time mama.
    I think when we took that picture she was looking down at that blue egg, thinking "huh? where did THAT come from?!" But then she sort of pushed the eggs under her and 'arranged' the pine shavings just-so. It was cute.

7. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have one too. She hid a nest in the covered carport of an outbuilding. There are 11 eggs now since yesterday. She is sitting days but not at night yet. I don't know if she will stay on them or not. This leghorn is not flighty at all just the opposite because she was raised with other breeds of chickens that are friendly. I'm kinda hoping she will hatch out her eggs.

8. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    It may be hot enough that she won't even have to stay on the nest all the time - they will just hatch on their own! Mine is pretty flighty, even with being handled a lot and raised with two other breeds. But once you catch her she totally relaxes and sometimes even falls asleep on your lap. Good luck with yours, too, flagardengirl!

9. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Well, my broody is still going strong! We candled the eggs and they all look viable. One looked less developed than the rest, and one was almost solid looking. I'm new to this, so I guess we will know for sure in a few days.

10. Panhanle RIR

Panhanle RIR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Texas County, Oklahoma
    lucky lucky lucky i have a black Turken (Naked Neck) that acts like she wants to and will set for a day or so and stop hopefully [​IMG] she does or i will just have to wait till spring [​IMG] for my ever faithfull sitter Checkers (silver laced wyandotte) [​IMG] to hatch me some baby fluffy butts out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by