1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sunsinger - The Duck Who Thinks SHE(!) Is a Rooster

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OldGuy43, Apr 12, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's official, Sunsinger, the Khaki Campbell hen has taken over the job of rooster for our flock. Not that she is trying to mate with the hens, She just announces sunrise every morning. I awoke early this morning and at approximately 6:34 Sunsinger started quacking really loudly, and continued to do so until sunrise. Does kind of make you wonder how the places that have legal prohibitions against owning "roosters" would deal with a girl like her.
    [​IMG]
    Oh well, time for the second cup. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Yup, I've got one of those too! My Indian Runner, Victoria. She is a big mouth. As soon as the sun rises, she is quacking like a maniac. Love her to pieces, but she is LOUD!!!

3. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    This is just weird. Yesterday morning my Cayuga did the exact same thing, even the part about stopping right around sunrise. I thought she lost her mind... Could it be some kind of duck conspiracy?

4. OldGuy43

I'm wondering, do either of you have a rooster. We don't.

5. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Mine haven't started that game yet, and hopefully they won't [​IMG]

6. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    Right now I don't have any chickens at all. Just 2 ducks.

7. OldGuy43

Sorry Mum, I don't recall. Do you have a rooster? I'm wondering, is it a poultry requirement? You know, that you have someone to sing the sun up in the morning. [​IMG] Might even be a religious thing among poultry. [​IMG]

8. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No rooster here OG, hens, trio of ducks, ducklings, but no rooster.

I think you've brought this on yourself ... after all, you did name her Sunsinger and that is just what she does [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. OldGuy43

No, other way around. That's how she got her name. She started singing the sun up shortly after we moved her in with the cluckers. Now it's an every morning thing. [​IMG] Member of the poultry clergy maybe? [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Mum

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Poultry clergy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by