SunTuf Polycarbonate Roof Panels?

NancyNurseCxMama

Songster
Jun 1, 2017
Hudson Valley, NY
We're going to need some kind of roofing to partially cover our run. A standard plywood/tar paper/shingle type roof is more than we want to tackle right now as we are old and don't want to accelerate the aging process any more than we have to.
Looking into polycarbonate roof panels, specifically the SunTuf panels sold by Home Depot. We reviewed the YouTube video (by the company) and it looks doable and also looks like it will fit our needs. We will be roofing a 10 x 10 area---half of our run, enough to provide some shelter from rain and snow and keep the food dry. The kiddies also have shade and protection under their 5 x 6 coop.

Anyone here have any experience with them? Advice, opinions, ideas, recommendations, warnings?
Thanks in advance!

Yep, I've used them. They hold up okay. Had them as the roof on my first coop and they did well. They lasted through three years here in VT of getting covered in ice and snow every winter, too. I've since sold that coop, so I couldn't tell you how they were holding up now, but they did well enough that I'm going to use them again on the bantam coop I'm currently building and I used them for my rabbit hutch.

If they do end up needing to be replaced, replacing them would be a fairly easy affair, too.

Last edited:
This is what I put on the brooder when DH adamantly refused to build a window in. We found them difficult to cut with a clean edge. We ended up putting a fat stripe of painter's tape on both sides where we needed to cut to keep the edges neat. It worked reasonably well but added a time-consuming step.

After a few years outside, I've noticed that algae grows where the panels overlap. Because they were installed with nails and rubber washers, there's not an easy way to remove a panel to clean it out.

This is what I put on the brooder when DH adamantly refused to build a window in. We found them difficult to cut with a clean edge. We ended up putting a fat stripe of painter's tape on both sides where we needed to cut to keep the edges neat. It worked reasonably well but added a time-consuming step.

After a few years outside, I've noticed that algae grows where the panels overlap. Because they were installed with nails and rubber washers, there's not an easy way to remove a panel to clean it out.

Thanks for your input.
What did you use to cut the panels? I've seen all sorts of recommendations ranging from hand saws to circular saws to tin snips!

Thanks, FlyWheel.
We are looking for something easier to handle than a metal roof and are hoping that the SunTuf panels will be the answer for us.
It's used for greenhouses and patio covers so I am thinking that it will be okay as far as sun exposure is concerned. Hoping for a few decades at least.
We figure if we last twenty years or so we can leave our building mistakes to the kids and they can deal with them! :D

Thanks for your input.
What did you use to cut the panels? I've seen all sorts of recommendations ranging from hand saws to circular saws to tin snips!

Strange as it sounds, I've found pruners work really well on them. With their curve, they follow the ups of the panels nicely and allow a clean cut.

Use self tapping metal screws for metal roofing to fasten them on with . One inch screws are plenty long . And Pyxis is right it's easier and safer to cut with shears . If you want to you can use clear silicone to sill the over laps along the edge to keep the water out and keep down the algae growth. Your only talking about five sheets . I would over hang the run at least a foot or even two . Also make sure you have plenty of slope for snow shed . unlike tin the panels become rougher with age and water and snow shed will slow somewhat . Snow being the worst .

Back
Top Bottom