Super awesome winter water system idea

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bluefrog87, Feb 8, 2014.

1. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I found a outdoor solar/electric water aerator. It would have a 48 hour separate battery back up too. Both are designed for outdoor aquariums

I would use a 5 gallon bucket. Drill holes for chicken nipples. Have the dual aerator system (a back up with a back up) in the 5 gallon bucket and it would create movement to keep the water from freezing.

My winters are get to about 10 degrees. This would eliminate Heater systems and electric wire in water!!!

Benefits
    • Less risk of fire
    • Won't boil off water
    • Could work in power outage
    • Cheaper than most nipple heated systems
    • 3 different power systems

Cons

• Untested
    • Don't know how it will work with the nipples

However, nothing ventured noting gained.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. NinjaRooster

NinjaRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2013
    The Corner
    hmm, that just might work!

3. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I have a shakey power supply too so the plug in heat isn't the best option. The shakey part is from ice storms and my power goes out for a couple days. With this system it suck changing the batteries every other day but it have less suck that the constant water change and dealing with no power system. The aerators are designed to keep up to 10 gallons outdoor aquariums from freezing. The second would work like a back up generator.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Let us know how it works out....but I think you need heat to keep the nipple working.

5. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    This is the test part but I'm hoping because it's constantly moving it will work

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure movement of cold water in the bucket will have any effect on the water in the tiny orifice in the nipple housing.
    But only time will tell......

7. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    My climate isn't that harsh. It would get to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd also lower the freezing point with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and insulate the container.

8. johnlogan

johnlogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    I tried something similar to this. I had a pump in a tank of water and one of those floating heaters. The pump circulated the water through pvc pipe into the coop and back out to the tank. Like aart said the nipples still froze. It typically gets into the teens here. Now I just keep a pan of water in the run and dump the ice out and pour more fresh water in daily when freezing is a problem.

9. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    How about a solar heat collection panel? No batteries required. It only works on sunny days, though. We're going to build a few to heat water tanks.

[​IMG]

10. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I have an all shaded area and it has to work in ice storms

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by