1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Nov 16, 2015.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I have an SS hen who's about 7 months old. Yesterday, if not the day before, she started acting (what looks like) broody. I don't think she's layed her first egg yet, but I can't guarantee it wasn't layed elsewhere. I don't see any signs of illness. Her behavior otherwise seems normal, except that she doesn't try to peck me if I touch her while she's squatted down. I have handled her and her sister daily tho. She's eating/drinking/pooping. Today she walks a little, and I don't think that there are any problems there, except she doesn't walk around much. She squats and puffs out wherever she's at. This pic is from a few minutes ago...after I'd picked her up for a little bit. She seems alert, and I don't feel anything unusual underneath/behind her. She's sat down like this in the run, and in the yard today too. I double checked the entire backyard, and didn't find any 'hidden' eggs. I'm going to put her in the broody breaker overnight to see what happens...Has anyone ever had an SS hen go broody before laying their first egg?
    [​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

This hen has a bright red comb so she may be laying eggs. Any hen that has been laying could go broody regardless of age. I have never heard of a hen going broody without laying eggs first. However, from your description and the picture, I do not think this is broodiness. More likely there is a leg/foot problem-possibly obesity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by