Super Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RosanneH, May 27, 2016.

1. RosanneH

RosanneH Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2014
    Ovilla, Texas
    Is there a way to break a broody hen without a cage?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Blocking the nest can sometimes work.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Keep removing her from the nest, like, 20 times a day.

Dunk them up to their necks in cool (not too cold) water......
    .....that's drastic and kind of cruel, IMO, but might feel good in Texas this time of year.

Why do you not want to use a cage?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you don't have a cage, you can rig up something using things you probably have around the patio or garage. You need an open mesh bottom, so a small patio table that has a mesh surface will work as a base. Now you need something to keep the broody confined. I've used an inverted milk crate bungied to the table. Stick that contrivance in a high traffic portion of your run, and install the broody in it.

I let my broody out several times a day to poop, dirt bathe, and eat and drink. She then goes back into the broody "cage" the minute she tries to head for a nest box. It's also a good way to gauge if she's over being broody yet. If she remains away from the nest boxes, she's cured. It usually only requires no more than three days.

I finally found a very inexpensive wire dog crate at a yard sale. It's big enough to hold two broodies at a time. It was a very good investment since I have a steady supply of broody hens each spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by