Super chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joebryant, May 29, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    ETA The rooster and hens pictured here are not the ones discussed below. I now have a splash rooster and three black hens in this coop.
    I couldn't believe my eyes last night when I checked on my three-week-old chicks that were hatched May 7th. The mother hen was up on the roost with the rooster and the other two black hens. Right beside her was the black chick. Down below in the center nest box were the splash and one of the blue chicks. The other blue chick was down on the floor going crackers from being alone. I picked it up and put it in the nest box with the other two. This morning they had all jumped down and were out in the run with the mother hen when I went out to open the gate for them.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sounds like you have yourself some real go-getters. Congrats on the super chicks!

3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thanks, they really are a lot of fun to watch while with the mother hen. I thought it was interesting that three-week-old chicks would follow their mother's lead like that, especially the black one that went all the way up to the roost to be with her. I'm really anxious to check tonight to see if any others go all the way up to the roost; that's quite a flight.
    Edit: A blue rooster and hen in the barn are the source of the eggs for the chicks, not the splash rooster and black hen.

Last edited: May 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by