Super clean coop maintenance schedule

Deep litter in coop and run. I clean out part of the bedding in the coop several times/year, leaving a good amount to continue the composting action. The cleaned out bedding goes into the run. Goal is for at least 6" of deep composting litter in both coop and run. Sweet, fragrant, black compost is harvested from the run as needed for gardening purposes.

My 2 cents worth: By being so very specific with a maintenance schedule, you are painting yourself into a box that will put you and other flock owners in a can't win situation. For example: Deep litter bedding done right in coop and run are completely odor free, while a coop that is cleaned every week, with attached bare soil run may actually be more smelly.

You would do better to spend your time addressing housing needs: Sq. ft. in coop and run per chicken, natural lighting and ventilation size, predator proofing. Maximum flock size, whether roosters are allowed. Adequate drainage in and around the run to prevent fecal contamination and build up of Phosphorous and Nitrogen to unsafe levels in the soil of flock owner and adjoining properties, set back from adjoining properties. THESE are the issues that need to be part of the "permission to have a back yard flock" in a heavily populated neighborhood. Telling an owner that they must clean their coop x times/month is a pandora's box. But telling an owner that their coop/run odors must not be noticeable by any neighbors is common sense, and I assume that HOA already have general yard hygiene and odor control statements in their covenant. Don't give them more control than is necessary. Look at the HOA rules pertaining to dog ownership. Flock ownership should follow similar common sense guidelines.

I’m trying to amend our HOA covenant and want to include a maintenance schedule. What does your maintenance schedule look like?
Why the amendments, have there been specific problems? Knowing that and what the covenant say now might garner better suggestions.
ETA: disregard above....just realized chickens are new for your HOA.
I can't imagine specifying how each individual must clean their coops/runs,
let alone enforcing it.

'Clean' means different things to different people, you might find this discussion enlightening:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/too-clean-equals-bad-fact-or-fiction.1216750/

This is how I 'clean':
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
-Runs have semi-deep litter, never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 4 years.

Last edited:
I agree with others about painting oneself into a corner. I would focus more upon results:

• Odor control - some concrete measure like no odor from X' away from the coop
  • Fly control - not sure how to quantify this
  • Noise control - perhaps look at dog barking ordinances for ideas
  • Run-off restrictions
  • Manure management restrictions - disposal off property? well managed compost? if compost, covered/contained?
  • Feed storage requirements - rodent proof or no-rodent access storage containers/feeders
  • Containment requirement - setbacks, height of fencing or covered run

Some HOAs are very concerned with aesthetics as well - if this one is you may have to add some aesthetic guidelines. Perhaps coop/run plans submitted for approval or a list of approved materials/colors/construction methods

And to the original question - I live in a dry mild climate in an urban environment which has a huge impact on the way I keep my chickens. I have sand in my coop and covered run and wood chip mulch in my chicken yard. The sand areas are cleaned every day by sifting out the manure. I let the chickens till under their yard and that seems to be working well. Manure is placed into a tumbling composter (along with other compostable materials to balance the compost). All feed is stored in metal containers and the only feeder that is not in a completely rodent proof area at night is a rodent proof treadle feeder. I rotate through a variety of fly traps and use DE for insect control.

My routine takes <15 minutes per day and there is no odor and there are more flies coming from my neighbor's reasonably clean dog run.

Yes please be careful with making cleaning rules. You might get stuck with ones like my city has. I need to clean pop daily and completely disinfect every three days.:eek::he
No deep litter allowed, heck they don't even want you to compost pop.

Oh Honey, I'm so sorry your chickens have to live this way, and you too. Time to move to the country don't you think? It's way too much work for me. Good Luck!:frow

Yes please be careful with making cleaning rules. You might get stuck with ones like my city has. I need to clean pop daily and completely disinfect every three days.:eek::he
No deep litter allowed, heck they don't even want you to compost pop.

The world does not need any more rules. Just live and let live; unless there’s some major animal abuse going on then just let people do their thing...

Back
Top Bottom