SUPER clean coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GoldenSparrow, Jun 27, 2011.

1. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I want to super clean our chicken coop, yard and all!!
    We had a sick chicken, so I want to rid the coop of an disease, sickness, and bugs that may be there.

What should I use thatÂ’s chicken safe, and will completely kill any diseases?

I thought bleach, but is that safe to use? and if so do I mix it with water? ( I heard its NOT safe for cat. Is that true?????

thank you all so much

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I'm a neat freak so every couple of months I pull everything and everyone out and lock the birds in the run. Then I remove all the bedding, and shop vac out the last little bit and dust.

Spray everything with clorox clean up. At the dollar store I found a scrub brush on a broom handle, and I use that on the floor and walls. A bucket and scouring pad for the roost poles.

Blast it all with the hose, and sweep out water with a broom. I have a pile of old towels I use to get additional moisture out, then I set up a box fan to run all afternoon to dry it out more.

Bleach and it's fumes are bad when it's wet. If using straight bleach, you want to dilute it into a spray bottle with water. By drying everything out, it will be perfectly safe.

Then I add fresh bedding and some poultry dust.

I also give a thorough cleaning to feeders, waterer, nest boxes, ect during the time the fan is running to dry the coop out.

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks so much!
    Is clorox clean up the same as bleach?

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I do a annual scrub down with clorox bleach and water then let the coop air and bring in the new birds in the spring. If it's not already done, paint or seal the interior of the coop to prevent poo and water damage to the wood (even All Weather wood will hold poo residue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by