Super cold weather!

Pics

Soleil_A

Songster
Oct 24, 2017
White lake, Michigan. (Or detroit)
What do you guys do when the weather goes in the single-negative didgets? I bring mine in my garage! Right now it’s around 3 degrees, feels like -20 with windchill! I felt so bad for the girls I had to bring the into the garage for the time being. Once the windchill goes down, I will put them back outside.
32BB9203-549C-417E-9BDB-EF02F13C394D.jpeg

My chickens were foraging in the single digits this morning (I couldn't stand to be out there for more than 5 minutes!) I prefer to let them stay outside. As long as they have a coop to return to at night, food and unfrozen water, and dry bedding, I think they can tough it out ;)
Your setup is really cute, btw... those girls have a great parent! :thumbsup

They would be fine out in their coop/run as long as they have places to get out of the wind.
Mine have been out all day. We started out at 28F this morning but rapidly dropped to 8. We are now at 5 and going sub-zero tonight. They are still out in the run scratching around.
Only got 2 eggs instead of the normal 6 but I'd rather they used their energy to keep warm than give me eggs.

What do you guys do when the weather goes in the single-negative didgets? I bring mine in my garage! Right now it’s around 3 degrees, feels like -20 with windchill! I felt so bad for the girls I had to bring the into the garage for the time being. Once the windchill goes down, I will put them back outside.View attachment 1647611
Keep 'em dry & out of drafts; they'll be fine outside.

I close the barn doors down to chicken-width if it’s windy from the south. Otherwise, unless it’s snowing in, etc., I open them wide and as always shut them at dark. The girls like sunshine or at least, filtered-through-cloud-shine. At bedtime they get mixed scratch, sunflower seeds and mealworms.

4 here with wind chill in the -20 range. The sun is shining & I saw a few ventured out this morning when the door opened. Previous chickens many years ago survived -20 night temps for a week. It was my first year & I didn't panic, because it never occurred to me that it was a problem. Chickens have existed in the cold in the past.

Back
Top Bottom