Super Early Pip?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stacykins, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    So I took my Brinsea off the turner this morning, as it is day 18 and time for the eggs to stop being turned. But I saw on shell had a tiny chip out of it. Since the top had already been opened (I had to fill the reservoirs and do a sniff check for late term deaths before lockdown). I heard no chirping. I am absolutely POSITIVE I did nothing to take that tiny, perfect triangle chip out of the shell, no rough handling or anything. I candled the egg quickly, and saw movement, and held it up to my ear to try and hear the chick. Nothing. Not sure the chick was ready, since there are a ton of blood vessels that I could see when candling. Anything I should do at all other than keep the humidity up and keep an eye on it?

2. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    If I were you I would just let it do its thing. It would be pretty weird though if it was the only one to go that early. What kind of eggs are there? If they're bantams then they are more likely to go early.

3. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    They are standard sized araucana eggs.

If it helps, the incubator is an Eco 20, and both thermometers have maintained a steady 99.5 degrees through the entire incubation.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Hi Stacy!! I just hatched some biddy's the other day & had noticed the same thing upon lock down . I prepared the bator for lock down & sprayed the eggs a little with water. Closed it up & never opened the bator again until the hatch was over. I usually open & add water transfer chicks to the brooder etc. It was my best hatch thus far no casualty all healthy big chicks. Got 30 out of 36. And o yea the egg did hatch.Good Luck on the hatch 7L.

5. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Quote:Thank you so much, 7L, that is definitely comforting to hear! I guess I'll be sitting on my hands for the next few days with my eyes glued to the 'bator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by