Super eggcited!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Super eggcited!!! Eggs in the incubator look good and now I am going for a drive Sat to get 18 chicks!!! [​IMG] I am sure everyone who already thinks I am chicken crazy will think that even more so.

So for anyone driving with chicks in the cold - do you think I need to put something to keep them warm on the drive home? It will be about a 2 hour drive. I am thinking of finding hand warmers to put in the box with them.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

That's probably a better idea than my practice of driving with the heater cranked all the way up to Equatorial levels.....

3. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    [​IMG] I don't think the kids would like that plan- When I get the heat where I like it they are complaining. I am sure with extra heat they really will be upset with me!

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]

15 new babies in the house!!! [​IMG]:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:ya:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

5. AnimalFriend<3

AnimalFriend<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    I was wondering the same thing! Have to go on a drive to pick them up. They will be about three days old already and use to being warm and cozy in the brooder then they will be stuck in my cold car for a couple of hours and I don't want anything to happen to them. Let me know what you ended up doing to fix the problem or any suggestions you might have!
    Thanks!!! [​IMG]

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well the tubs that I brought the guy looked at them and decided they were too big for the ride and gave me a box. I think they would have been fine but he seemed really worried so as I knew the box would be fine as well I went with it. I did put in the hand warmer and I had a few that decided to sleep on it. (which kind of worried me as they do get HOT) I also put the seat warmer on for them and I think that helped. During the ride back home I know I looked at them a few times, which each time I did I scolded myself as I knew they were loosing heat via me...

I also had shavings in the box but I guess next time I will put down paper towels over the shavings as half have started to get a bit of paste butt. Since I didn't look at their butts before we put them in the box it could have been there before but I am guessing the drive didn't help.

They are looking really cute! Since he had one blue hen and 2 BLRW hens and his rooster was of course BLRW looks like I have 6 Blue, 7 BLRW and 2 that are more red then the rest. Kids are now ready for me to try and get their silkies. Hopefully I can figure out the incubator and just get eggs. We will see....

7. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Oh and I left my car running until the heater was working really good before I put the chicks in the car.

8. AnimalFriend<3

AnimalFriend<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Sounds like it was a success! [​IMG] So they didn't get too hot with the hand warmer? That sounds like a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by