1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super Excited new owner from Alabama!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by triplej, May 12, 2011.

1. triplej

triplej Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Afternoon everyone!!

My name is Sandy and I am the super proud new owner of a ready made "harem". My estranged husband's mom had 9 females and one rooster that she was no longer able to take care of because my FIL has just recently been diagnosised with brain cancer. Between his chemo/radation and then some of the mood swings he has been having she hasn't been able to take proper care of them and she asked if I would take them.

When my husband left me, my son and I moved onto some old farm land that has been in my family for 20+ years. We have done a lot of land clearing, put in a garden, unearthed some real finds when it comes to flowers and wild roses, and found an old chicken run that we have restored. It was huge!! We put up new wiring, made a new gate and my MIL gave me a big nesting box type of thing (please forgive my ignorance I don't know much about raising chickens, that's why I"m here LOL) that has a place for 12 hens.

My MIL said she was getting on average 9-12 eggs a day from the 9 females. She was feeding them about 3 cups of food, twice a day. Even with the stress of moving them from one home to the other, when I went in to feed them this morning I had my first brown egg and it was a pretty big egg too!!

I look forward to learning my way around the site, getting to know ya'll and mostly learning from others who have been there, done that.

I would love any suggestions you might have to give!!!

Thanks,

Sandy

2. finsfan7920

finsfan7920 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    [​IMG], i am new myself and this place is great, hope you find some good info like me!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from California!

I want to tell you (but I won't be the only one) that keeping chickens is THE most wonderful thing you can do for yourself (and your kids). I spend far too much time just sitting out and watching my chickens, enjoying the sounds they make, their interactions, and talking to them.

It's Chicken TV, family friendly (most of the time), wholesome and a real hoot.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!! [​IMG]

6. triplej

triplej Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Thanks for the Welcome!!!

Finfans7920 your coop is AWESOME!!!

My chickens are I guess what you would call free range!!! LOL My son and I have no real building skills, no room in the budget for buidling a coop right now anyway and it's already 90 degrees here. The have lots of room to run around in.

I really enjoyed reading the section about what you can feed chickens. I want to get a head of cabbage and suspend it from the roof of their pen now.

The roof of their pen is covered with honeysuckle vine and is off in the trees a little ways with just a short path leading to it so they get plenty of shade. I'm not worried about them getting too hot. Is it crazy to be so excited about getting off work today so I can go visit with my chickens??? I feel like a little kid who just got a new puppy.

I don't know what breeds they are, other than that there are at least 4 possibly 5 different breeds. I will take pictures and as soon as I can figure out how to post on the forums I will post pictures. My favorite, Khaleesi, is a light tan beauty that is bearded and then Biscuits and Gravy (my son's friends helped us so I told them they could be honorary chicken "owners" and could name a chicken, hence some of the names like Biscuits and Gravy) are like zebra striped. There is another hen that looks a lot like Khaleesi, she just isn't bearded. All the rest just look like regular ole' chickens.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!!!

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Welcome.[​IMG] from Austin Texas I am so excited for you.

8. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Hi Sandy and welcome to BYC!!

10. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry