Super feed???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bryan8, Nov 6, 2009.

1. bryan8

bryan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    New york
    Well I went to the feedstore to ask for a higher protein feed for my Cornish x. They didn't have enough protien in there feed it was only 20%.

The guy said that he had a bag of special broiler feed. He said he didn't know the protien % but he said it was higher than 20%

I got home and opened the bag and there was a tag inside that said " super broiler 47.5% proten "

I was like 47.5% !!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I feed this and will my Cornish x mutate over night? Lol

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

20% is just fine- I'd feed them that. A lot of commercial "broiler feed" is 20%. Heck, I've never even heard of anyone feeding 47%. I'd imagine it's ridiculously expensive and unneccesary.

3. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    It's actually the same price as the flock raiser I was feeding

4. jaku

I'd still pass. I don't know what, if anything, NEGATIVE would happen, but they just don't need that high protein in my opinion. I've raised a ton of birds on 20% broiler feed and they came out fine. If anything, I'd do some research online (or wait for a few more opinions on here,) as to what 47% is used for. As I said, I've never heard of anyone feeding that to chickens.

5. bryan8

May 21, 2009
    New york
    The only thing is that there almost 6 weeks old barely feathered and only weight 2 1/2 pounds.

6. jaku

One thing I will say is that they grow a lot in the last two weeks, and they always look like they have bald spots, whether it's under the wings or the breasts that drag on the ground.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Sounds like straight soybean meal. Should be a feed ingredient, not feed in itself.

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Were there any ingredients listed? It could be broiler concentrate: high protein feedstock with added amino acids, vitamins and minerals that is meant to be mixed about 50/50 with your own farm-raised grains to produce a broiler ration.

9. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Yeah that's what I was going to say, I would mix it with the 20%.

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:That's what I was thinking too.... I think you can mix it like 1200lb of corn to 800 lbs of concentrate....

I know layer concentrate is like 37% or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by