1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SUPER HENS!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Creekbank, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Creekbank

Creekbank Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    I drove almost an hour yesterday afternoon, bought 15 Isa Browns, 6 month old. Got them home and in the hen house about dark. This morning I had 15 eggs! (The pic is 14, one was broke in the nest). I'm very happy here! Maybe I should go buy 15 more? Lol:D[​IMG]

2. rcjgm595

rcjgm595 New Egg

Oct 31, 2014
    I am new to chickens what is a is a brown

3. rcjgm595

rcjgm595 New Egg

Oct 31, 2014
    Sorry what is a isa brown

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sweet!!!
    Hopefully they will continue like that.....curious if they will adapt quickly to their new home and keep cranking out the eggs for you.

@rcjgm595 'Isa Brown' is hybrid(special cross) high production layer.

1 person likes this.
  5. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana

I asked that same question awhile back. My understanding is, they are a cross between RIR's and New Hampshires. This is a "commercial" breeding for egg producing machines. I think the exact breeding program is rather secret and maybe even "patented", so to speak. These birds are also known as Red Stars, sex-links and Isa Browns. The hens are very quiet and friendly. When I read about these chickens, I thought they would be hard to find. Then I looked in our local ad paper and found 3 guys selling them, some as older layers and one guy had 80 hens that was 6 months old and just starting to lay. I bought mine from him. I'm going to make another post with pics of my watering system that I took from him that solves the problem of fresh water in freezing temps.

1 person likes this.
  6. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    [​IMG]
    My hens.

7. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Another name for them is Golden Comet. I have 8 of them and they lay huge eggs just about everyday. Very friendly too!!

8. Creekbank

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast Indiana
    Thanks for that info! I didn't know that! I suppose each commercial hatchery call them whatever they want. Great birds!

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Don't expect 15 eggs tomorrow or the next day. Moving will throw them out of wack and it will usually take a week or two to get back to normal production.

10. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    Interesting. Perhaps the OP would be kind enough to say how many eggs were layed on day 2... and 3... and maybe even 4 and 5.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by