super humid here, no water in bator, but still too high

Jarhead

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Arkansas
OK it has been raining here just about everyday for a month. It is hot (the south) and humid. Inside the house we have AC but the humidity is still pretty high, like 60 to 70 depending on day/time. We are on day 3 for the eggs. In the bator there is no water source right now, but the humidity is still 70 which is slightly higher than the room. I guess it is slightly higher than the room from the evaporation from the eggs. Anything I can do to bring it down? Or do I just have to deal with it?

Do you have them little things they stick in a new pair of shoes, or in a medicine bottle? It's like a little sack of hard beads. If not go to wal-mart and ask if they have any extras that have fallen out of shoe boxes. Also you can try a shot glass of baking soda. It absorbs moisture and funny smells.

Sounds like it's time for a dehumidifier in the room.

Those are a bit too much $$$.. I only have $35 in the forced air DIY incubator, which holds the temp perfect, and has a turner in it. I have a hard time justifying $200 on a dehumidifier just to hatch a few eggs for the backyard flock.

Anybody think silica gel packs or rice thrown in the bator would work? Or could they create another problem, like bad fumes or something?​

Vent the incubator

It is vented, but the air that comes in from the bottom vents from the room is already high in humidity.

Do you have them little things they stick in a new pair of shoes, or in a medicine bottle? It's like a little sack of hard beads. If not go to wal-mart and ask if they have any extras that have fallen out of shoe boxes. Also you can try a shot glass of baking soda. It absorbs moisture and funny smells.

You are thinking like I am! Just was not sure if it would be bad to put in there.​

put a small dry sponge to collect the moisture/
or at lowes they carry small cartens
forgot what they are called. that are for rooms with high humidity.maybe 4.00 they pull the moisture out of the room.

Ihope this helps.

Cool Sissy!
I will check lowe's for that product. As of now I put in 2 silica packs and that brought it down a bit. I will put that thing in the room from lowe's hope that takes care of it.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom