Super lethargic young hen-- help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cdmaze, Jul 13, 2010.

1. cdmaze

cdmaze Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    She is one of 5 we got back in March- they were all healthy and happy.

We just got our first egg, and we believe it's from her. We were so excited! Then I noticed yesterday that she wasn't with the other girls who were making their rounds, pecking at stuff. She was under the hen house, standing up, eyes closed. I got her out and noticed she had white, runny poop.

I went online and saw it could have to do with the heat, so, I set her in a cool place with some of her own water- she drank up and started to walk around. Problem solved?

Nope. This morning, all the hens were out- talking to me, eating, etc. She was in the corner of the hen house- head in the corner, butt in the air-- I thought maybe she was laying? Her backside was sort of pulsing (I don't know all the anatomical stuff, bear with me).

So, later, I went and checked and she was just standing in there- next to the water- eyes closed.

Now, we've had chickens before- I know what a laying hen looks like, and she's not laying- she's standing. And she'll let you pick her up, do anything to her and she wont move.

What is going on?

2. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG] I am curious as to if anyone else out there knows

3. Marco Pollo

Marco Pollo New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    I am dealing with the same thing. Lethargy and just sleeping all day and all night. I've been treating for coccidiosis but that doesn't seem to be right since one chicken hasn't improved almost at all, and another one fell ill today. I'm probably taking one to the vet for diagnosis tomorrow.

4. cdmaze

Dec 14, 2009
    I'm wondering if she's egg bound? I've tried a warm water bath (which she did NOT like),and lubricant (which, wasn't pretty, either). I thought at one time I felt an egg coming down...I'm not sure. So frustrated!!

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hate to say it, and I'm NOT sure that this is it, but look into Mereks. Sometimes stress (like coming into lay, going broody, etc.) will make them symptomatic. In the meantime I'd isolate her so you can tell how much she's eating/drinking/pooping and try giving her some scrambled eggs and maybe a few drops of polyvisol (infant vits. no iron) to see if that will perk her up.

6. cdmaze

Dec 14, 2009
    She is definitely drinking- and I've seen to that myself. I'm not sure about eating- I'll try the scramble egg. I gave her some ground up calcium....just in case is is the egg-bound issue. She's pooping- watery white-ish stuff. [​IMG]

7. cdmaze

Dec 14, 2009
    Not bumping, but updating with a secondary question!!

FYI, the sick hen is a Black Sex Link- I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I'm starting to worry about this being disease- nothings changed- she's still solitary, closes her eyes most of the time, tail down, heavy breathing, beak closed. Vent pulsing.

My Rhode island Red is actng normal, but I noticed her beak is open alot- and she's breathing heavy. I'm worried!!

Should I isolate the sick hen?

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, you should seperate her. If it is a disease the rest of them are probably already exposed, but you're more likely to figure out what is going on if you can watch her better. Also they can really get picked on when they don't feel good so if it is something treatable she has a better chance away from the others. Here's a link to the "poo page" it might help you identify the problem. I was thinking about it and am now wondering if you've ever wormed them?

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by