Super light-colored Black Maran Chick?

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
Hi, everyone! I just had a question about an extremely light-colored Black Copper Maran that just hatched today! I have a few more on the way out of a clutch of six, and the rest are all extremely dark compared to this one (compared to pictures that I have seen). This is TOTALLY not a complaint, I think its so stinkin' adorable! I'm just curious! Do Black Maran chicks sometimes come out this light? It's a very pretty off-white cream color with light silvery gray markings over the back. I like that it's different.

Last edited:
I think your black coppers have some Wheaton hiding in the mix. Lots of black copper breeders seem to struggle with this. If you bought the eggs, you should let the breeder know so they can cull appropriately.

I think your black coppers have some Wheaton hiding in the mix. Lots of black copper breeders seem to struggle with this. If you bought the eggs, you should let the breeder know so they can cull appropriately.

Aaaawe, OK. I'll let the breeder now! Thanks for the reply!

Cute chick though! If it is a wheaten, you'll be able to determine gender around 2-3 weeks. The pullets will be brown/red and the cockerels will start to grow in black feathers.

Cute chick though! If it is a wheaten, you'll be able to determine gender around 2-3 weeks. The pullets will be brown/red and the cockerels will start to grow in black feathers.

Thanks... If it is a pullet, will it still lay dark brown eggs? Ironically, it hatched out of the darkest one in the clutch. Very surprising. So I guess it would now be considered a BCM/Wheaten cross?

This was my first hatch, and I'd love some dark egg layers. The chick does have pretty feathered legs and feet!

Back
Top Bottom