Super loud hen!

mle022

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
CA
Hi all!

Has anyone had a super noisy hen? I don't mean with their egg songs, I have one that just makes the most atrocious noises all stinking day long. She wakes me up when all the windows are closed, and the coop is more than 200 ft from the bedroom window. Double paned windows even! She's that loud!

I think she's just bored, she does it and paces the length of the run closest to the house. I've tried squirting her when she does it, she pipes down for a little bit then starts again. I've tried ignoring her, she still does it every half hr about. It drives me crazy. Does anyone have any good recommendations on things I can put in there to keep her entertained, by chance? Otherwise, she might end up as soup.
big_smile.png

I have a really loud talkative hen too, she follows me around commenting about everything, sometimes you get a Kathie Lee of chickens, can't really give any advice on what to do with her though, sorry

I wish mine were louder! I have yet to hear an egg song, but windows are closed and A/C running this month.
I want to band my layers and see who is sandbagging. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe it! I signed onto BYC to post this very subject!! I have 5 bantams hens (20 week ) and one of them is SO loud!! I don't know which one it is because when I go out there they stop, or she stops. She wakes me up in the am with a screaming BE-gaaw!! She does it off and on the whole day. Then she starts with the baawk-baawk- BEGAAWK!!!
I can't take it any more! I feel so guilty if I don't let them out of the run but I can't have them out all day.
I give them treats and that keeps them busy but I can't give them treats all day! Oh, brother.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for letting me vent on your threat! :barnie

I let my three hens free range in the yard all day and at least one of them will give the super loud alarm call AT LEAST once a day. Most of the time it's because their bff has gone into the coop to lay an egg and *gasp* is out of sight for a few moments, but this morning, something set off all three of them and the super obnoxious "bockbockbockbockba-GAAAAWK"ing lasted for over an hour. Usually my presence is enough to calm them down, and then I can distract them with a handful of scratch or mealworms but nothing was working this morning. I don't know if something spooked them (hawk?) or if they're predicting an earthquake but I was crossing my fingers that none of my neighbors work a night shift!
hmm.png

@mle022 , if you think your girl is just bored, I have heard that hanging a head of cabbage (or a suet feeder filled with her favorite greens) just out of reach, can be a good distraction for them! I've also heard of people hanging a small mirror in the run as well. She could just also REALLY want to get out of the run...when I'm a couple of minutes late letting my girls out in the morning (read: two minutes after sunrise) they are NOT shy about voicing their displeasure and will often pace the length of the run while complaining at me the whole time. Either way, I feel your pain and hope you're able to find something to keep her occupied! Good luck!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I can't believe it! I signed onto BYC to post this very subject!! I have 5 bantams hens (20 week ) and one of them is SO loud!! I don't know which one it is because when I go out there they stop, or she stops. She wakes me up in the am with a screaming BE-gaaw!! She does it off and on the whole day. Then she starts with the baawk-baawk- BEGAAWK!!!
I can't take it any more! I feel so guilty if I don't let them out of the run but I can't have them out all day.
I give them treats and that keeps them busy but I can't give them treats all day! Oh, brother.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for letting me vent on your threat!
barnie.gif

Haha rant away! I feel the same way. I can't let my roam the yard either, they always dig all our plants out of pots to get at the pumice in the potting soil (even though they have plenty of grit!).
somad.gif

I let my three hens free range in the yard all day and at least one of them will give the super loud alarm call AT LEAST once a day. Most of the time it's because their bff has gone into the coop to lay an egg and *gasp* is out of sight for a few moments, but this morning, something set off all three of them and the super obnoxious "bockbockbockbockba-GAAAAWK"ing lasted for over an hour. Usually my presence is enough to calm them down, and then I can distract them with a handful of scratch or mealworms but nothing was working this morning. I don't know if something spooked them (hawk?) or if they're predicting an earthquake but I was crossing my fingers that none of my neighbors work a night shift!
hmm.png

@mle022 , if you think your girl is just bored, I have heard that hanging a head of cabbage (or a suet feeder filled with her favorite greens) just out of reach, can be a good distraction for them! I've also heard of people hanging a small mirror in the run as well. She could just also REALLY want to get out of the run...when I'm a couple of minutes late letting my girls out in the morning (read: two minutes after sunrise) they are NOT shy about voicing their displeasure and will often pace the length of the run while complaining at me the whole time. Either way, I feel your pain and hope you're able to find something to keep her occupied! Good luck!
fl.gif

Thank you for the suggestions, I think I'll try some of that tomorrow.

I really wish her noises were just the loud bocking, but she makes this RRRAAAAAAA RRRRAAAAAAA RRRRAAAAAA RAA RAA RAA. You'd think something was killing her every half hour.
barnie.gif

I'll see if I can get a video of it.. She can see me coming out the house and usually pipes down then, so I'll have to be crafty about it.

Back
Top Bottom