Super loud only child

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kannna, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    I have a broody hatched and raised only child. A blue splash marans. She (hopefully) is 4 weeks old today and she has within the last week or so started to peep incredibly loud at the drop of a hat. She has always peeped all the time which is annoying in and of itself. I even heard the neighbor commenting on it in thier back yard to each other. "Tiny thing for being so loud" I can't see that anything is wrong. Mom is a good mother. She's always open to sitting down for a hiding spot or finding her choice tidbits. They are living with the rest of the flock. Maybe thier own abode is called for. If I can't get her to quiet down a bit at least we are going to have to rehome her.
    I just don't know what to do at this point. SHe is so loud. It's like an alarm for the whole neighborhood.

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    That is a sound they usually make when they are lost or alone. When they are alone I guess they think they are lost, so off goes the alarm.

I think that putting them apart for awhile might be the answer. Perhaps the little one is "lost in the crowd".

Perhaps it is the "only child" syndrome! Gee, some of us know THAT feeling.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by