super mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmaisie, Jun 21, 2007.

1. missmaisie

missmaisie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2007
    being new to chickens...I was slow to recognize mites until major infestation. and it's possible that I've got 2 types to contend with: red mites and northern fowl mites. I've blasted the wooden hutch with sprays and powders and no longer see little reds running around. My 2 chickens have been sprayed on a daily basis for almost a week and each morning there have been dead mites to brush off the tail area & dead mites on nesting litter which I change. But I don't want to kill the chickens with chemicals in the process of getting rid of bugs. Yesterday I heavily powdered them with food-grade DE, which is also in their nesting box litter and sometimes sprinkled on their pellets to prevent intestinal worms. I'm no longer getting mites on me when I clean nesting boxes or handle the chickens (why I think northern fowl mites - seeing movement on birds during day, moving black specks on egg, my hands & arms getting covered). Yet I continue to see moving mites on back of light colored hen every morning - only a couple today - but it's so depressing that the little buggers are still crawling!
    I've ordered an Eglu - plastic - I just don't think I can prevent infestations in the heat & humidity of Philadelphia summers. Does anyone have any ideas about how to finish off the remaining bugs?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Have you given your birds a place to dust bathe? That helps them get the dust deep into their feathers, also.

3. missmaisie

missmaisie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2007
    I put a litter box with sand & a bit of dirt in their pen and it's got lots of DE sprinkled in. I've seen them perched on the rim & they've walked through it (footprints) but I don't know if they're using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by