Super newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goatmama123, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Goatmama123

Goatmama123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    I have purchased some Silkie eggs... these will be my first chickens and first hatching experience. They should arrive Wednesday, I am going to pick up an incubator today.

I plan to follow the instructions many have provided here, my question is really about candling. Being so new and not knowing what to look for is it needed to determine humidity adjustments?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    In my opinion, unless you are going to be weighing the eggs, candling and monitoring the air cells is very important. Candle down into the eggs from the air cell (fat end) down and you shouldn't have any problems seeing the air cells. As for what you are looking for, this breaks it down and has an air cell graph: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Good luck!

3. Amora02

Amora02 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    Be VERY carful whilst candling. I literally JUST dropped one of my eggs while in the process of candling and it cracked and bled so i sealed it up with nail polish.

4. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    So when you candle you hold it big end up and light narrow end? I just purchased my incubator, looking at everything in it is a little overwhelming.

That link is fantastic. Thank you.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Candle down into the egg from the big (fat) end where the air cell is. If you candle from the side or the bottom, you won't get a good pic of the air cell and it's harder to understand what you are seeing. This is how I candle:
    [​IMG]

It's easier when you aren't taking pics...lol Then you can hold the flashlight/candler with one hand and cup that hand over the top of the egg that you are holding with the other hand.
    Basically you are lighting up the air cell when you candle down into the egg from the air cell.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    BTW: [​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd suggest that you read: Hatching Eggs 101 in the learning center. Be sure to calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer. And take readings throughout your incubator. Have it running at the right temp without having to fiddle with the control for 24 hours before putting eggs in it. I like to put some water bottles = to the anticipated volume of eggs in to help stabalize temps. When you put the eggs in, don't be surprised if the temp bottoms out on you. Give it 24 hours before adjusting it. Obviously, if it goes high, that's a different story!

8. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Thanks guys, they come today and I am super nervous. I posted this on another thread but it game with a glass thermometer attached to a glossy thick paper like thing with the degrees printed on it. Is that safe to leave in there with the eggs or is it a fire hazard? I have it running right now to try to get the humidity on point- They are being shipped so I plan on having them fat end up in the carton for a day still while I dial everything in. Does that 24 hr thing sound correct or half day and straight in?

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If paper in the bator is a fire hazard you got problems![​IMG] Don't trust that thermometer, or any other until you get it calibrated.

10. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Where or how do I get a calibrated thermometer. I am going back to the feed store today because the candler in came with doesn't work. Is there something I can get to calibrate the humidity too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by