Super sick chicken, falling over, yellow dirreha, closed eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoseRanchChickens, Oct 18, 2011.

1. RoseRanchChickens

RoseRanchChickens New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    Please help, my hen is very sick, i went outside a few hours ago to check on them and she sittin down leaning over with her eyes closed. her comb and face is very pale, she looks aweful, she has lost alot of weight, has yellow runny po
    op, not drinking or eating much(its like she falls aleep and i wake her up and she's like "oh food!" takes a bite or two then passes back out. she sits all the way down on her hocks, keeps leaning and falling over, very weak, loosing feathers more than usual.
    i have given her fresh water and made she sure got a suffecent amount down before i went back inside, she is seperate in a rabbit cage with an old comfy jacket inside and blankets around the cage to keep cold wind out, she has food and water in the cage. i have fed her a mashed up boiled egg and a lil wheaties. i am about to get her some flavorless yogart. what is wrong with her? what else can i do?
    until about 30 min ago i didn't know i had to worm my chickens too. what wormer do i get? can i give it to them even if i'm not sure tgey have worms or not? what else can i feed her? she is usually a very livley chicken, she is my coop queen and keeps everyone in line, but now she wont even waln a straight one [​IMG] please help, i din't want to loose her but can't afford a vet trip

2. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    How old is she?? If she's a young hen it sounds like could be coccidiosis. You have to treat it right away. I would say corid, but you might need something a bit stronger. Look it up on line and see if it sounds like your hen. Id it is, make sure you treat all of your other hens as well. If you treat it on time, she will be ok.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
  4. RoseRanchChickens

RoseRanchChickens New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    i don't think it is either one but i could be wrong. it does seem closer to the 'M' one but not the coccidiosis one. she is an older hen, older enough to not lay anymore but i got her from someone else about a year ago and idk how long they had her. so her real age is a mystery, tho my guess is between 4-6 years. she has never had any issuses since i've had her till now. she has always been a happy bossy hen. i am very worried, the pullet is fine, dirty on her face but fine otherwise. what chicken wormer do i need? what are some good things to feed her to help with immune system, digestion, and extra nutrients?

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    For wormer use Wazine (1 oz per gallon) for one day then follow up with Ivermectin pour on (for adults 3-5 drops on the back of the next making sure to make contact with the skin).

I would boil an egg and add ProBios to the egg about 1+1/2 tsp per egg per chicken. You can also get a poultry vit at TSC I but I can't remember the name it has a dropper and is almost black in color very thick stuff. In a white bottle with black writing.

If it is Mareks I do not know how to help as I have never dealt with it. I would make sure she is isolated though.

Good luck with your girl! Also you can try using the search engine on this form to see what other have done with meraks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by