Super sick rooster?

Farm life101

Songster
Jan 9, 2018
Florida
hello,
My bantam silkie rooster has been acting really weird. When he poops he squats and shakes and it takes him a little while to poop and when he dose it’s dierah. I can try to get a video tomorrow of him doing it. Besides that he’s fine, he eats and drinks normal, follows his girls and finds them food, and crows fine. They are free roam during the day and at night we lock them in a 10x20 foot coop with places at the top (will include picture). We feed them Purina layer crumbles and grit in a separate feeder. What could be wrong with them. He is about 3 years and hasn’t been dewormed since he was a chick, could that be the issue? Forgot to mention that there are 18 hens and then him.

These pictures were taken a year ago so there is just dirt on the inside of the coop and no grass and the leaves in front of the coop is now grass. It’s also not divided anymore and all one coop.
3BFEBC45-ACC0-42CA-88D6-C9F6500816CE.jpeg
09954991-70A1-4D99-B347-B29ED9755F76.jpeg

When he poops he squats and shakes and it takes him a little while to poop and when he dose it’s dierah.

he eats and drinks normal, follows his girls and finds them food, and crows fine. They are free roam during the day and at night

3 years and hasn’t been dewormed since he was a chick, could that be the issue?
You have a really nice space!

If he is eating/drinking well, then yes, I would consider worms might be an issue.
Can you take a stool sample to your vet for testing to see if he has worms?

I would also check his crop first thing in the morning just to make sure it's emptying completely.

You have a really nice space!

If he is eating/drinking well, then yes, I would consider worms might be an issue.
Can you take a stool sample to your vet for testing to see if he has worms?

I would also check his crop first thing in the morning just to make sure it's emptying completely.
Okay so this morning his crop was empty, i normal feed at night and morning so I just checked him before I fed in the morning. I called around and the only vet that would do a stool sample said it would be close to $80 and I don’t have the extra money. Do you think if I give him some electrolytes and a dewormer he would be fine?

Okay so this morning his crop was empty, i normal feed at night and morning so I just checked him before I fed in the morning. I called around and the only vet that would do a stool sample said it would be close to $80 and I don’t have the extra money. Do you think if I give him some electrolytes and a dewormer he would be fine?
Do you have photos of his poop?

I would deworm him to see if that makes a difference. You can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard) at .23ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

I would see that he is drinking very well. You can give him electrolytes for a couple of days if you wish.

As to whether this will fix all his problems - I just don't know. He may have something else going on internally.

Okay I will get the dewormer you mentioned. I can try to get a picture of his feces tomorrow. I also forgot to mention that we had a rooster die from an unknown diesease but he did have respiratory issues, kidney/liver failure and almost always had purple at the tips of his comb, when he died he just collapsed out of no where and stoped breathing. I don’t know if that would have something to do with my roo or not but thought I should mention it.

Back
Top Bottom