Super-sized Guinea egg

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by beesong, May 11, 2011.

1. beesong

beesong Songster

Look what one of my guineas left today -- it's 67 grams, compared to the regular-sized ones at 45 grams. I think I'll add it to my next hatch and see if it hatches a Super Guinea.

[​IMG]

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    Probably a double yolker, they don't normally hatch [​IMG]

3. damselfish

damselfish Songster

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That's pretty cool, I've never seen a mis-sized guinea egg before.

4. beesong

beesong Songster

Quote:No, I don't expect that it will. But it will be fun to see if two embryos develop at all. I'll crack it open after it's definitely dead to see if it is a double-yolker. I don't think I've ever had one from my guineas before, just the chickens. (Once I got a triple from the chickens.)

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    LOL you won't believe this but I got an egg that looks almost identical to yours tonight at feeding time. The rest of the Hens laid by 2:30, except I was missing one egg... she must have had a heck of a time squeezing that one out [​IMG] I'll edit this post and add a pic in a little bit. Just tougth it was odd, we are both up here in Nor Cal and we both get similar weird eggs the same day, lol.

Yours looks longer/narrower, so maybe mine's not a double yolker... either way, I'm thinking the Hen that laid this one had to feel some pain, lol. I'll open it, but I don't think I'm going to set it. I don't want to risk 2 dead keets or 2 messed up keets [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edit... you made me curious as to how much it weighs, 68 grams.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  6. beesong

beesong Songster

Quote:I'll be darned! Maybe the Great Guinea Fairy has been flying through northern Calif. and leaving giant eggs in our nests?

7. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    I have no idea, but it's definitely weird, <enter twilight zone music here> lol. This is the first egg I have collected like this for this yr's laying season.

8. Anianna

Anianna Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    My ten-year-old son predicts that it will hatch....

into a two headed guinea. [​IMG]

9. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Crowing

Mar 28, 2011
    BFE, CA
    Hey Beesong...
    I hard boiled that big Guinea egg! So pretty! (It was yummy too!).

[​IMG]

10. beesong

beesong Songster

Quote:Wow - that's beautiful! I should have done that with mine. I just opened it and added it to breakfast. (Also a double.)

I've been wanting to tell you how much I admire how generous you are with your guinea experience here. I always look forward to reading your posts. You mentioned that you have a keet care PDF file available; do you sell copies of it? I'd love to download it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by