Super Skinny Welsummer

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by redheadaggie, Dec 6, 2016.

1. redheadaggie

redheadaggie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    I have a welsummer about 6/7 months old who is still nothing but skin and feathers. She roams the yard the other girls and I see her eating and drinking normally.
    She isn't being picked on either. Just tiny!
    I've added some nutrients to the water the last few weeks but it doesn't seem to be helping.
    The girls have access to multiple feeders with laying pellets and also have a large fenced in area to roam during day.
    Doesn't have any signs of being sick.
    Is there anything I can do to help her put on some weight ?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Have you wormed them? If she has access to plenty of feed, isn't being bullied away from it, and you see her eating a high worm load would be my first suspect as the cause of the weight loss. Worming them can't hurt and might solve the issue.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would follow her around for a fecal sample and have it read for parasites.

4. redheadaggie

Jul 21, 2015
    I haven't wormed the girls, but I just ordered some meds to get it done. Praying that it helps.
    I put her in my 'sick bay' which is just an enclosed run inside of the large fenced in area all the girls have access to during the day. Hoping this will allow me to get a fecal sample from her and to also give her some extra protein and ensure she's got plenty of access to food and water.

5. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Hi redheadaggie!

It is possible that your welsummer is just a smaller chicken. Genetics of that may bird may be limiting her size. Have you consulted with a veterinarian to determine if there is a health issue internally that is preventing this hen from growing? Parasites? Worms? If she appears to be eating and drinking normally and doesn’t appear to be sick, then I would say that you leave her be. Is she laying eggs? A true sign of whether the bird is stressed or challenged is if she is not laying eggs. When birds get stressed or aren’t feeling well, egg production will stop.

6. redheadaggie

Jul 21, 2015
    Well Barney passed away just before Christmas. And then I had a hawk take one of my reds on Christmas Day [​IMG]
    Not feeling like the best owner lately, but all my other girls are healthy and thriving. Even handled the freezing cold weather Houston had last week.
    Thank you for your advice :)

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is the rare breed of chicken that can't handle a Texas winter with glee.

8. redheadaggie

Jul 21, 2015
    Well most of my girls have never seen freezing temps and we were down to low 20s for two nights.
    They were a little shocked and confused [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by