Super sleepy pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sigmachigirl, Jul 25, 2013.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    Hi there, we just got a speckled Sussex, about 11-12 weeks old. She's been super sleepy since we got her. Just prior to getting her, she was treated for 10 days with duramyacin for a respiratory infection by the breeder (who had been given the pretty girl). Anyway, she's tired and has runny poo. Just reminds me of my girl who had coccidiosis. I've also noticed that she sometimes looks like she's heaving, like she's going to throw up. I haven't seen her throw up due to this, however, though she does get excited sometimes and throw up water. Right now, we're on day 3 of corid. Not really seeing her perk up yet. Am I treating the wrong ailment? Her eyes look so tired. The color of her comb, however, is better than it was when I got her.

I have seen her sneeze every once in a while, but I don't know that it is the infection coming back. She does not have the snot bubbles or snot on her nose. She comes inside at night, and sleeps in a caged dog crate with fresh water, food and a clean towel. During the day she is out on clean lawn in an open enclosure that has boards over it to give them shade.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Why would you bring home a bird with a respiratory disease? I don't mean to be rude, but you have now exposed all of your chickens to a chronic disease. They don't get colds and get over them--most chickens that get a respiratory disease have mycoplasma or coryza, and that gets into your flock and can wipe all of them out. She probably needs to be culled or put back on antibiotics, but she may keep getting sick. Here is some info on diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I am new at this. And I was told they should be fine by my vet after 10 days. They were monitored for a few days after being taken off medications. They are in separate areas of my yard. I am attempting to isolate them until given the go ahead from my vet. I came home with three girls. The other two are older and seem fine. But I am still keeping them together, as they were all medicated together.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Unfortunately we sometimes learn things the hard way. Your vet should be better informed about chickens. If you can possibly take these birds back I would or cull them. It's hard when you get attached, but by just being in the area, you are going to spread this on your shoes, hands, and clothes and the droplets travel in the air. Watch your other chickens closely for symptoms.

5. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I've tried to keep all clothing separate. Washing and disinfecting my hands in between. Not wearing same shoes, etc. taking her into the vet right now. How would you recommend I disinfect the area?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most people recommend ammonia (very cheap) and soapy water, 1/4 cup to a gallon, then dry and air out very thoroughly. Oxine is another product but expensive and available online.

7. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I have seen the oxine ah, on amazon. I do have ammonia though. Vet believes she may just be taking a bit longer to get her immune system back. Said her breathing sounded good. Did restart her on a personal dose of a different broad spectrum just in case though. I am concerned with how to disinfect this portion of my lawn where they are during the day... It is not an area my other girls are allowed to roam though.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Actually you can also use bleach as a disinfectant too when not dealing with coccidia (ammonia is best there). Don't ever mix any of these things, just stick with one because you can make some toxic fumes. You can't really disinfect grass or dirt. Sunshine and time will help that along.

9. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Trying to err on the cautious side. Luckily it's my very sunny side in the yard! I used to work in a hospital, and even have hand sanitizing stations around the coop and my house. I think I will order the oxine since it kills everything fungal, bacterial and viral!! I've heard it has some good medical uses as well. Thanks for your advice. I have done research on keeping chickens for a while, but only started tending to them the beginning of June. And as you know, it's very different. And I tend to watch them like a hawk and worry. She is still curiously checking new things out, talkative, eats and drinks well and enjoys treats, so for now, I guess that isn't bad. I did add in some electrolytes to their water (no vitamins), and started her on her new meds.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  10. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    She seems much better today. Much less sleepy. Thank you for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by