Super special duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heatherindeskies, Jul 18, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    just got a call east indy (s?). She is a real cool duck, won't hurt my cripples as they attack her on their elbows, but man did she take after the regular ducks. after a 45 second vicious scuffle with the call drake, he was running and she sent the hens running with him. I am very impressed with this behavior. I wonder if that is normal... gentle by nature but a beast if needed....

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Cripples?

3. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Quote:I have two with contracted legs that have to walk on their 'elbows'. They get around OK, but slow and are happy and healthy otherwise. They are my spoiled pets.

4. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Ohhhh lol! Thought it was a new breed or somethin!

5. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Hahah yeah, my two Pekin ducks are the most gentle things when it comes to 'their' pullets, soon to be integrated with the rest of the flock. One of the GLW went after a brown leghorn...I have never seen my Pekin, Wilmur, move so quickly. The GLW had the leghorn by the neck feathers and Wilmur grabbed the GLW's face and began to shake his head. They are good ducks, they will miss their ladies when they have to be separated I'm sure.

It is funny how animals act sometimes.

6. Renegade Rescue

Renegade Rescue Chillin' With My Peeps

I need advice with a special needs duck I have one that cant go in water he cant balance he has lost the use of his left leg he has been like that since we got him we all love him he seems sad the other chicks are now outside and he can only go out on nice days and cant be with them where he wants to be. We were told to put him down but the boy is healthy other then not being able to get around we want to house him outside near his duck mates in an enclosed house. We are an abused dog rescue and all the dogs seem to know there is something wrong with him and several are protective of him. We do not give them direct access to him they are allowed to see him in his inside kennel. He makes my wife sad because she feels he is not getting to live like he should any advice and no putting him down advice we just want him to be happy I would love if he could be happy here with us and still live a good life.

7. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    If he isn't a little baby, being in the water should be good for him and balance should not be an issue! He would have to be monitored because he won't be able to get in and out of most pools.
    Normal ducks may kill an injured one like this; I am glad you are separating them.

8. Renegade Rescue

he was 5 days old at easter the others that came with him are feathered and living outside in the baby kennel but gimp has such a hard time and almost drowns in a tub with two inches of water, this week or next i am going to create a small area in our big duck pen where he can see the ducks but no one can get to him we are adding 8 more feet in length to our duck pen just to house our little gimpy duck right now he lives in our house but has to be seperated because of the dog rescue. We just hate to think he is not happy so maybe building the extension and allowing him to at least think he is interacting will help him. Thankk you we are new to ducks we have had them since christmas and a special needs duck is not something we know anything about but we do love him and Do not want to part with him.

9. Renegade Rescue

This is baby Gimpy or Friend has my wife calls him. He is just starting to feather but is not has far along has the others.

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think adding a special place for him where he can be with the others with out them being able to get to him will make him very happy. Plus he'll have an added bonus of being outside with fresh air and sunshine. Bless you for what you are doing not only for Gimp but for all the animals you have rescued.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by