1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super uncoordinated hatchling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CCourson05, Apr 10, 2011.

1. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    So one of my premature chicks can't walk well... Normal? It figured out it's toe placement and can stand and lift head. Just turned 1 day old about an hour ago...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pic? Any premature chicks I have ever hatched didn't make it..... [​IMG]

3. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I would upload a pic, but I'm on my phone. And it doesn't let you upload pics from mobile stuff.

It's been walking around. It sleeps quite a bit. Chirps like crazy. Fully absorbed yolk though.

4. debilorrah

Quote:It sounds OK to me. My preemies, never got their legs under them.

5. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It took time... And patience on my part. Lol. But he got it. His inner membrane was still attached to him though. I cut it so he wouldn't rip it out... He started to, and blood started gushing. So I cut it, put corn starch on it, and blow dried it to clot it... Did I screw anything up with that action plan?

6. gronsk

gronsk Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2010
    SE MA
    Doesn't sound good-probably will not live.

7. debilorrah

Quote:Unfortunately you may have made a mistake. However, sometimes chicks overcome all odds. In the future let it be and let things happen naturally. I often help chicks out but not before they have made a grand effort on their own. My latest save was a duckling that zipped and then turned. I popped the top off to find the ducklings butt!!! It hatched and it is fine.

8. CCourson05

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Little fella died. [​IMG]

My other chicks are doing well except one has curled toes. I am going to try the boot and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by