Super Vanguard

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fscvics, Nov 6, 2016.

1. fscvics

fscvics Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida
    I'm trying to track something down for my dad. He swears that in the 60s and 70s in NE Pa there was a breed of chicken available from hatcheries called the Super Vanguard. He describes it as looking "like a Leghorn on steroids" and being bigger than Jersey Giants, in the ballpark of twenty pounds. He said the eggs "weren't quite white" (cream colored, he described) and according to him they were massive and double and even triple yolks weren't uncommon. Apparently his mom would get some every year, but they did their butchering one year and the following spring the breed was no longer available. It has bothered him for years because if they'd known that the chicks wouldn't be available anymore they would have kept their flock instead of filling the freezer.

He thinks it was a conspiracy by the people breeding Jersey Giants to eliminate the competition, but you know how dads are.

Anyway, would anyone happen to know the breed he's referring to, what happened to them, and if they're still around? Or is it more what I suspect--that his memory has embellished a bit? Was the hatchery sticking a special name on a chicken that was really something else? The Internet hasn't turned up anything useful for me so far but some of you have been at this a while and have tons of information and lore to draw from. I'm hoping someone can send me in the right direction.

2. Mirei81101

Mirei81101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Quite.... Interesting. I've never heard of a chicken that big, I'm curious as to if anything turns up or if it's just a tall tale...

3. fscvics

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida
    Me too. I've wondered if the hatchery was giving them like JG under a different name or even maybe Vantress chickens that he confused the name on. It sounds too good to be true so it probably is, but I don't doubt that they had big chickens. I just question whether they were THAT big, and such good layers too. He wants me to call Grandma and ask her for details (incredible memory for a woman of her years) but it's really hard to have a productive conversation while being mauled by a toddler.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
  5. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Check out the "white sully" breed.

6. fscvics

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida
  7. fscvics

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida

Holy mackerel, that's big! Came along after my dad's chickens would have but could well come from similar stock.

8. bantamrooster

bantamrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    I was buying a lot of hatchery chickens back in the 70s and early 80s and never heard of a vanguard.
    I do remember hearing about the sully though i never seen one or knew of any for sale.
    At the time most didnt believe they were real until they finally started popping up in news stories with pics.
    It was said they were twice the size of any chickens before them. So i dont think there were any hatcheries selling chickens near as big as your grandpa remembers.
    I was thinking he may be wrong on when and maybe the sully was what he was remembering

9. fscvics

Oct 16, 2016
    Central Florida
    Dad swears they had these things. I might have to call Grandma tonight.

10. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Copied the following from google about "white sully" giving location for Australia.

What was the past established record?

The generally accepted published record which was last established via the Guinness World Records organization was a chicken named “Big Snow.” He weighed 23 pounds and 3 ounces. “Big Snow” was of a breed of chicken known as a “White Sully” developed by Grant Sullens of West Point, California, USA. The record chicken was owned by Ronald Alldridge of Deuchar, Queensland, Australia in 1992.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by