Super weird eggs.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickengirl37, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Chickengirl37

Chickengirl37 Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2016
    [​IMG]
    So someone in my flock is "delivering" eggs like this. No shell, just the membrane and a tube.
    Any idea why?

Also, I have a Silkie that eggs are yolk free.....
    She had "crookneck" at birth and wonder if this is why.
    Maybe she wants me to eat healthier?!!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

That is weird.

Any new layers in your group? What is their age, how many total chickens? What do you feed including treats?

How long has your silkie been laying yolk free eggs? Sometimes soft shelled eggs can be a sign of the reproductive system starting up or shutting down. Some times there are just hiccups. And sometimes they may never become normal.

When you found that... in the box or somewhere else?

3. Chickengirl37

Feb 3, 2016
    My hens will be 2 years old this spring. The silkie does lay eggs with yolks also but was curious about the whites.

4. EggSighted4Life

So have they molted then?

Could be the system starting or stopping lay as I suggested.

5. Chickengirl37

Feb 3, 2016
    Thanks for your help....hopefully, it is just a "hiccup". They just seem too young to be stopping.

6. EggSighted4Life

When I say starting or stopping, I just mean their normal cycle, not permanently.

I was thinking more along the lines of starting back up after coming out of molt since they are that age and it's that time of year. Here is an article that is at least an interesting read and does talk about your silkie eggs as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

7. Chickengirl37

Feb 3, 2016
    Oh.....new comer to raising chickens! Thanks so much for your help!

8. EggSighted4Life

Well, you're at the right place! [​IMG]

Before long your head will be spinning with so much chicken info you might accidentally say "bok bok"! No, I'm just kidding. But this is a great and helpful community where almost any chicken question can be answered. If you're like the rest of us though... you probably lurked for a while before signing on and already know that!

Enjoy BYC, and have a great time becoming part of the family! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by