Superglue Baby and the chicks of Ghengis Khan

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joletabey, Nov 16, 2009.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    OK!!!! I got my Delaware babies Saturday and they settled right into their new brooder like they knew it was home! Superchick, the sweet baby that Speckledhen and her DH superglued together, is still doing fine- drinks, eats, poops, and is fairly active. Poor child had a bit of a slow start, and I thought he/she might be ending up at the bottom of the pecking order, but I've seen him/her take a swipe at a few other chicks. They are incredibly people oriented- many of them look up at me when I talk to them, and will gather around my hand. Baby Blue is a bit smaller than the others, but doesn't let that stop her. DH took some pics, I will try to get some up this week.

The two biggest things- ya'll have commented on how much they poop. It's still an eye opener. I tried the slotted spoon thing to clean, but they jump on it, chase it around the brooder and I am scared I will knock someone's little head off, so I switched to a glove and hand picking. . . .yes, yes, LOTS of poop. However, the biggest of the two biggest things. I am now sure chickens are direct descendants of the great Khans and all the other barbarian hoards that rioted and partied and looted and steamrolled over people to get what they want. . . . . I made this amazing discovery when I served finely chopped gourmet scrambled egg. It was happy mayhem. I served up in four different little dishes so everyone would have a chance (17 babies). Baby Blue leaped into the center of one and defended what was between her feet while the rest grabbed and ran, crashed and bumped, gobbled, and ran to get some more. . . . . . .screaming happily the whole time. Then, like drunken little party people, they all collapsed and slept it off.

This is one of the very best presents I have ever received in my whole life!!! THANK YOU, DH!!!!(another early Christmas present) AND THANK YOU SPECKLEDHEN!!!! (for hatching these babies and giving me the opportunity!!)

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awww, I can't wait to see pics!

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    LOL -- it reminds me of when I fed my young chickens (about 10 wks) some yogurt last summer...There was one poor bumbling fellow that kept walking SPLAT in the middle of it every time I put a scoop down....then the others would gather around and peck it off his feet! He was looking around like, hey everybody, what's the big deal with my feet all of a sudden???

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I can't wait till I try yogurt- I bet I get a few hopping right into it, too.
    I hope to get pics up this week. We are busy moving and redecorating and my DH knows how to do all this- I need him to help the first time!!! Superchick is breathing faster than everyone else, but still eating, drinking and jumping around with the gang. Her's hoping he makes it![​IMG]

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Ok, you got my curiosity going- what about the name 'superglue chick'...?

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    If you go on the incubating/hatching section and find Speckledhen's thread you will get all the details. The short version is that Speckledhen hatched Delaware babies and one had part of its intestines hanging out, she and her DH poked them back in, superglued the chick shut and now I have the little Dellies and Superchick is still hanging in there- have no idea if he will make it, but he has hung in there almost a week- gallant little baby!!!!!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] for superchick.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    That is too great! If you have any bugs around still, try dropping a tiny cricket or grasshopper in there, talk about free-for-all. It's hilarious!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hahaha, they are a bunch of little heathens, arent they? But, they are so much fun! The little baby we held back in order to see if we could fix the slipped tendon is so cheerful and friendly. It loves to be held and it sings and chatters constantly. I hope we can fix the joint, but I'm not very sure of that at the moment. Time will tell.

Eggs are very definitely a huge hit here, too. It's mayhem and chaos from the first bite.

10. hermiesbirdies

hermiesbirdies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    super glue was invented for battlefield surgery in the sixties and seventies. If there was a gaping wound and you could stop the bleeding, you super glued the wound shut so it didnt get ick in it, and then evaced the person out.

Superglue girl is sharp as a tack and I comend her for the quick thinking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by