Supermarket Duck Egg is on Day 12

MyBabyDuck

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
I bought a pack of Supermarket duck eggs and had a dream that they would hatch, so I got them out of the refrigerator and put them in the incubator. So now on day 13 and one is clearly viable. Now it looks like more than one is in there. This should not be viable anyway since the eggs came across the world, were in a refrigeration unit and then in my house were refrigerated over night. This must be a miracle and I want it to hatch now! I am so confused though, how can I keep a twin egg alive?

That's pretty cool! Where on earth did you find duck eggs at the store? People around here are squeamish about eating them. I've heard of some people hatching fertile eggs from trader joes (which makes me want to try it). But I didn't know anyone who wasn't a farm.

Twin eggs are very hard to hatch and only heard one success story so far (I have some videos posted on youtube of our twin duck egg with movements inside and will be posting another video tonight.. you can check it out at https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=M73u3-xTRdI ), I am also trying...made is on day 24 today so almost time for lock down. It is very rare, but if you do have other eggs in their it can compromise the others as well as itself. I did a lot of reading and am still learning. There was one other lady in my area that also had one but hers died on incubation day 18, difference was she was handeling hers to candle it and I wasn't so I would suggest that perhaps handle it as least as possible and candle it in the egg turner without taking it out. Good luck!!

It looks like a very good possibility, how big is it compared to regular egg?? They will also weigh more. Here is my twin egg and a pic from when I first saw the two embryos. It can be tricky to tell, sometimes people can mistake it if the duck is just huge. The twin egg weighs 03.3 ounces and the regular egg weighs 01.5 ounces. If you have access to two incubators I would separate the other eggs out, I originally had more in there that I thought were fertile but never took off and think its because of that. Hope you can see both embryos that I thought I saw, Yours looks like it. I would continue on with it, if its not it is still a pretty cool story where the duck came from and will be interesting to see what type of duck/ducks hatches from it. Because it is a duck egg and you do not know what breed it could be I would ask around to se when people think a good reasonable lock date will be since it can vary will duck breed. Keep us all posted!!

Wow - that's exciting! The biggest danger with 'twins' is that one embryo will die which ends up poisoning the other as it starts to decay. Your babies are looking good so far though. Fingers crossed for you! Look up "Laura's Birding Blog: Twins and Double Yolks in Bird Eggs". Very interesting background information. Good luck.

Wow - that's exciting!  The biggest danger with 'twins' is that one embryo will die which ends up poisoning the other as it starts to decay.  Your babies are looking good so far though.  Fingers crossed for you!  Look up "Laura's Birding Blog: Twins and Double Yolks in Bird Eggs".  Very interesting background information.  Good luck.

Thanks, let's hope that it is not twins then. Perhaps it has a strange long neck. I am going away for a few days so we will see how they look on Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom