1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

supermarket eggs will they hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plymouthrockFarm123, Jul 2, 2008.

1. plymouthrockFarm123

plymouthrockFarm123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    i am going to go buy some organic free range chicken put them in my "incubator" (box with fake nest and 30 watt bulb on lamp) to see if they will hatch if they do or do not hatch i will tell you using this thread or i might post another one saying that i did or did not hatch them.

wish me luck i am going to go buy some tommorow [​IMG]

bye bye

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Can I share a little info with you?

"Organic, free ranging," is a very misleading term. Basically it means two things:
    - They have certified food (no pesticides or other additives). That is no hard thing to arrange these days.
    - They have access to outside. "Access" can mean a little door and a small yard. No guarantee they even make it outside. It can mean a big yard outside - but normally doesn't. It most likely does NOT mean what it implies, "free-ranging" in the wide open spaces.

Remember, if your buying them in the store, they are produced on a commercial scale. I wouldn't put TOO much faith in that "organic, free range" labeling. It is there to sell a product, it's sole purpose.

I picked some eggs up the other day at the store. They were "Omega-3, vegetarian, organic, happy hens"...you name it, they had it. On the back in small writing it said, "From caged birds."
    SO much for happy hens.

Besides, eggs come from hens and hens in a commercial egg business have no business with males - and normally are not kept together with them.
    They've also been chilled for, how long?
    Even a short time in the cooler, below 68 degrees F, can nearly kill any fertile eggs chances of developing.

But hey, what do I know? Anything is possible. I wait with 'bated breath to see your results.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  3. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    the store i am going to is all organic and support local farmers soo there is a chance that the farmers use roosters to protect the hens and they accidentally get bred. and it cant hurt you if you eat a fertile egg. so there is a higher chance of organic free range to hactch rather than buying free run witch the chickens are locked in a barn not cages. and with free range they roam around a little pasture or something.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Like I said - what do I know? I wish you the best and I will be the first to congratualte you should your effort pay off.

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Sounds like a fun experiment, anyway.

Keep us posted!

6. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    with pleasure talk to every one in 3 weeks bye!

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I just finished Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma on my way home from work today. It has very interesting sections on industrial egg-laying and on "organic, free-range" egg-laying.

According to the book, the industrial terms mean...
    * "fertile eggs" - hens had access to a rooster (or vice versa?), not that they're certified fertilized
    * "free-range" - there was a door open to an outside pen during the chickens' 5th-7th weeks of life
    * "organic" - fed organic feed, which can include by-products from other 'organic' chickens & animals
    * "omega-3" - birds were fed a diet that contains certain elements

I highly reccomend the book to anyone.

8. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    soo does that mean that some hens on some farms have roosters put in with them or what??
    cuz i heard on local farms were there are predators they put roosters in so they can protect the hens and they can sell fertillized eggs cant they?

9. plymouthrockFarm123

Jul 1, 2008
    and by the way Davaroo it is possible Justino15 did it hatched a leghorn named sunny.

10. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    It is all worth a try...I say. You have nothing to lose. I would try if they sold eggs like that here. Good luck!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Let me know how it turns out..can't wait.Even I am getting excited for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by