Superworms as treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pkforever, May 11, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Does anyone give their chickens superworms as treats?? I used to give my very first chicks superworms and they got to the point where if they even saw the little white container they would flip out!! Are these chicken safe?
    [​IMG]
    If so I think I might figure out how to raise them...

2. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Or I won't... gross I just looked it up and I don't think I'd be able to do it. They already freak me out. [​IMG]

3. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Yes and no. For a full grown chicken one will easily kill these large worms while picking it up and swallowing it. But for a chicken less than 15 weeks it can possibly pose a threat. As you may no these guys are big, I used to breed them to feed my reptiles. Though it isn't true one can chew through a lizards/birds stomach they can certainly do some damage. Cling to the throat, bite, cut, etc.. If your going to feed them to chicks crush their heads.

About raising them, once you get a good colony and cycle going they are easy. But for someone who just wants to mix up your chicken's diet with a few worms, it's not worth it IMO. Mealworms are much easier, more prolific, smaller, and less gross for squemish people. With superworms you have to keep them warm, they need space, and you have to seperate each worm when it reaches a certain size in a small dark chamber, like a film container. Not to mention they develop much slower then mealies.

4. cklspencer

cklspencer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    Orem Utah
    I thought super worms and meal worms were the same thing:/ The way I understand it is super worms are meal worms that are given some sort of hormon to keep them growing longer, bigger and slowing the process to pupaite.

5. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Nope. Your thinking of giant mealworms. Giant mealies are just mealworms given hormones to make them grow bigger, and slow the pupating process down. Bascially what you said. They will pupate into beetles if given the chance but the adults are sterile. The superworm is a completely different species. Growing up to 2 1/2 inches. And adults are fertile because they aren't given hormones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by