1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Superworms ok to feed to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dchicken207, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Dchicken207

Dchicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Maine
    I know superworms can chew holes in plastic are they ok to feed to chickens?

2. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Absolutely. Your chickens will love them. Great protein, too. Are you farming the superworms? I have thought about raising superworms several times over the years but have never tried it.

3. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Well, I'll bite......what are super worms? From Krypton?[​IMG][​IMG]

4. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    I'm paranoid, so I smash the heads before feeding them.

5. cityhermit

cityhermit Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    I highly recommend raising superworms! My chickens go into a frenzy when they see them. I've never bothered to crush their heads, as the girls appear to know how to handle them and have never had a problem. From what I've read, they are also a bit more nutritious than the mealworms and easier to digest because they have less chitlin. I keep a good sized colony going at all times.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:LOL! Omg you made me laugh so hard!

Superworms look like extra-large mealworms, but are actually a species of beetle. And let me tell you, if you thought mealworms look creepy in miniature, the big worms are ICKY. I'm not normally squeamish, but those things creep me out because they can bite. My chickens can go buy their own superworms if they want em. I'm sticking to table-scraps.

7. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I can't handle meal worms [​IMG]......much less some mutant alien worm form, so my chickens also will have to buy their own.

8. SigningChickens

SigningChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens go ku-ku for superworms!! I'm just now starting the breeding process. I'm isolating them in old Scentsy boxes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi City Hermit. I bought a cup of 100 of those super guys and yes my girls go ape for them too, but they are expensive. How do I "grow" them please. I have them in a bucket with holes in the bottom. They crawl out the holes. I don't lose them because the bucket is sitting in a plant saucer. I throw veg. scraps in there and some chicken feed. What ;is this about straining them?? THX beverly evans

10. beverly evans

beverly evans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hello Floridian, I want to get into raising superworms too. Those boxes look awfully small. I guess they won't get any bigger? Is this how you get them to turn into beetles that will mate and lay eggs? :) THX beverly veans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by