1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Supplemental feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jensownzoo, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Anyone see any issue with using this chick starter as a supplemental feed for my ducks/geese? They are let out to pasture/free-range during the day and get a bit of fermented feed (all-flock/flock-raiser) in the evening to pen them up. Would be fermenting this instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

You are usually the one with the answers!

But I wouldn't use that too much. I don't have ducks or geese, but that seems low on the protein content. [​IMG]

I have read others comment that the Purina flock raiser 20% didn't work well for someones ducks and they didn't recommend it. Could be other nutrients that aren't up to par though. That is what I use but only have chickens.

However, if you are just using it up and not buying a bunch to feed long term... I would think it would be OK mixed in with you FF.

But I am no expert. [​IMG]

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

While I haven't personally tried that brand, it looks pretty good to me - I'd feed it to my ducks, but would add supplemental brewer's yeast for the niacin. [​IMG]

I feed fermented 21% protein chick starter to my whole free range flock because I have birds of varying ages (with free choice oyster shell for the layers). Many are molting right now, so can use the higher protein.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I can't make out the protein on that is it 19%?

5. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Yes, 19% protein.

I will add brewer's yeast just in case since it certainly won't hurt everyone else. Any idea how much per roughly 2 gallons dry feed?

Feed store decided not to carry this any more and clearanced it at 50% off so couldn't pass it up. Mill date still good, so got 6 bags. It will probably last a month since some of the extra chickens will be sold this weekend. Then back to an all flock feed.

6. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Seems like you got a great deal! [​IMG]

With brewer's yeast, I'm not really scientific about it ("sprinkle it on" method)...for 2 gallons, I'd put in about 1-2 tablespoons.

7. Jensownzoo

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

This was a great month for it too thanks to some unexpected expenses. Thanks for the info.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's actually 1 Tablespoon per cup of feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by